News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

No Kids for Me, Thanks

Started by garbon, April 06, 2015, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Of course he didn't.  He bought the $2500 stroller, to show his neighbors who was boss.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2015, 10:14:35 PM
Of course he didn't.  He bought the $2500 stroller, to show his neighbors who was boss.

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on April 06, 2015, 05:07:48 PM
Did Malthus actually buy that stroller? The story happened so long ago I've forgotten how it went.

IIRC it was something his wife wanted.  Happy wife, happy life and all that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2015, 06:00:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2015, 12:06:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 06, 2015, 10:56:04 AM
Article strikes me as the other side of the coin to baby-as-a-fashion-statement.

Both are equally vapid.  :lol:

Ok, Mr. $2000 Stroller.  ;)
Did Malthus actually buy that stroller? The story happened so long ago I've forgotten how it went.

If you must know - not that the truth actually matters at this point - but no.  ;)

What happened is that I related a story about a friend of mine who bought an outrageously expensive stroller, as an example of the absurdity of consumerism in our society (I actually bought an inexpensive stroller).

This morphed, in the usual Languish manner, into the notion that I myself bought a "$2,000 stroller", and became a Languish meme.

As I said, there is no fighting the meme at this point, so I don't bother.  The former occupant of that stroller, my son, recently put it best, after our trip to Mexico: "history isn't what you lived, it is what is remembered".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

I've met many adults who don't understand that.........bright kid  :cool:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 07, 2015, 08:15:53 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2015, 06:00:19 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2015, 12:06:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 06, 2015, 10:56:04 AM
Article strikes me as the other side of the coin to baby-as-a-fashion-statement.

Both are equally vapid.  :lol:

Ok, Mr. $2000 Stroller.  ;)

If you must know - not that the truth actually matters at this point - but no.  ;)

What happened is that I related a story about a friend of mine who bought an outrageously expensive stroller, as an example of the absurdity of consumerism in our society (I actually bought an inexpensive stroller).

This morphed, in the usual Languish manner, into the notion that I myself bought a "$2,000 stroller", and became a Languish meme.

As I said, there is no fighting the meme at this point, so I don't bother.  The former occupant of that stroller, my son, recently put it best, after our trip to Mexico: "history isn't what you lived, it is what is remembered".  :D

Next you are going to try to tell us that you don't hate the French

LaCroix

in the US at least, it's selfish to not have children (if the person is capable of having children).

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on April 07, 2015, 04:04:39 PM
in the US at least, it's selfish to not have children (if the person is capable of having children).

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

and those who do have children are equally selfish. :P

Admiral Yi

garbon

Thank God that I escaped Obama's America!

LaCroix

at least in the US  :D

though, i suppose the concept works for somalian families, too. the thought of a hypothetical child suffering is a selfish desire to forgo reproduction. the family doesn't know the child will in fact suffer. the mere fear prevents them, and they give in to that emotion. i think there are very, very few instances where parents could know their hypothetical child would in fact suffer to the point where the child would be better off not existing.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on April 07, 2015, 04:44:38 PM
Life is suffering

Except in North Dakota, where people are too dumb to realize how unhappy they are.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius