And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2015

Started by derspiess, April 06, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2015, 08:33:14 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2015, 07:17:16 AM
New book about Ty Cobb says all the stuff about him being a monster was fabricated.

I had heard something to that effect before.  It wouldn't surprise me if some of that was fabricated.

Once you get a reputation like that, and you are somebody like Cobb, the legend only grows.

But he was a racist super competitive jerk. The discussion typically revolves around how that made him unusual among ball players at the time. Even he himself admitted he had been a little too hostile as a player in his old age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Based on the interview with the author on NPR, it seems the racist thing was either fabricated or greatly exaggerated as well.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 08, 2015, 08:36:33 AM
Based on the interview with the author on NPR, it seems the racist thing was either fabricated or greatly exaggerated as well.

Fabricated? No. Exaggerated? Yes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Cobb once stole second, third, and home on three consecutive pitches.

derspiess

Yi is this the book you were talking about?  Listening to the NPR interview right now.

https://onpoint.wbur.org/2015/05/07/ty-cobb-detroit-tigers-new-biography
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Must be.  It was On Point.

The Minsky Moment

He was a yokel from the deep South from the turn-of-the-century so of course he was racist.  I do recall the story that in the 50s, Cobb said the only player he respected was Willie Mays; he also went on the record favoring integration at that time.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

The dude talking about the book in the link above said that Cobb's family had been abolitionists and Ty's dad had supposedly broken up a lynch mob.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2015, 12:27:14 PM
The dude talking about the book in the link above said that Cobb's family had been abolitionists and Ty's dad had supposedly broken up a lynch mob.

The question was the extent his racism was remarkable in any way.

I do want to point out that Cobb had a tough relationship with his family so those factors may not be proof of anything.

derspiess

I'd like to read this new book to see what evidence the author has to support his picture of Cobb's personality.  But at this point I think we can safely throw out anything Al Stump wrote that isn't backed up by solid evidence.

Valmy

I am going to have to come to the terms with the fact the Os may just not be very good this year. They lack the big bats without much improvement to the pitching.

derspiess

So an 0-5 pitcher with an ERA above 5.00 is going to do pretty shitty against the team with the best current record in baseball, right?  No.  Kluber for the Indians pitched a no-hitter through 6 2/3 innings and only allowed one hit after that.  Oh, and he got 18 strikeouts. 

Cardinals really need to win this afternoon.  The Indians are the one AL team the Cardinals have not yet won a series against.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2015, 11:17:30 AM
So an 0-5 pitcher with an ERA above 5.00 is going to do pretty shitty against the team with the best current record in baseball, right? 

You didn't really think the 0-5 start reflected his true ability?  Even before that game he still had a 4-1 k/BB ratio.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

0-5 can mean a lot of things but 5.0 usually means something real.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2015, 11:26:26 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2015, 11:17:30 AM
So an 0-5 pitcher with an ERA above 5.00 is going to do pretty shitty against the team with the best current record in baseball, right? 

You didn't really think the 0-5 start reflected his true ability?  Even before that game he still had a 4-1 k/BB ratio.

Nah, I just threw that in there.  I don't put much stock in pitchers' W-L since they only control about half the equation.  He did have an ERA above 5.00, though.

It would have been a very interesting game had Lance Lynn not allowed those two runs in the bottom of the first.  After that, it was like neither team wanted to score.