Georgia Inmate Beating Was on Facebook Before Guards Knew

Started by jimmy olsen, April 02, 2015, 12:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

At the very least we should all be able to agree that those fire departments that get paid by the fire are not a good idea.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 07:41:35 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 01:01:12 AM
(see Ferguson, firefighters setting fires or the entire pharma industry)

Ferguson? Where did privatization factor there? And pharma has never been a public service here really.

My point wasn't about privatisation per se - it was about making some activity for-profit. This was the case with the Ferguson police force, with city seeing tickets and fines as a major source of its profit, n'est-ce pas? And pharma never was a public service but the conflict of interest still exists (although admittedly there is no simple solution), what with all the corruption scandals about pharma companies bribing doctors to prescribe more drugs, or the fact that there is no cure or vaccine for HIV - as "HIV maintenance" drugs make much more sense from a commercial perspective.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 08:57:37 AM

My point wasn't about privatisation per se - it was about making some activity for-profit. This was the case with the Ferguson police force, with city seeing tickets and fines as a major source of its profit, n'est-ce pas?

Not it's profits. It's operating income, it does not get sufficient funding to operate without those fines. That is a different issue but is similar in the sense that it creates perverse incentives.

QuoteAnd pharma never was a public service but the conflict of interest still exists (although admittedly there is no simple solution), what with all the corruption scandals about pharma companies bribing doctors to prescribe more drugs, or the fact that there is no cure or vaccine for HIV - as "HIV maintenance" drugs make much more sense from a commercial perspective.

Well let's just say that historically this industry has not been all rainbows and lollipops.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on April 02, 2015, 08:30:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 01:01:12 AM... or the entire pharma industry ...

What's the problem of having a properly regulated private pharma industry? Don't tell me you too buy into the whole 'they have a cure for cancer buy won't release it' conspiracy?

See my response to Valmy.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2015, 08:48:42 AM
At the very least we should all be able to agree that those fire departments that get paid by the fire are not a good idea.

Yet we are perfectly fine with paying a doctor per visit/procedure done. ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 09:00:06 AM

Point: missed.

What is preventing the not for profit world from inventing an HIV cure/vaccine Marty?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2015, 09:25:16 AM

What is preventing the not for profit world from inventing an HIV cure/vaccine Marty?

I can answer this one!  It doesn't exist!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Patents.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 09:30:29 AM
Patents.

At least they are very temporary.

But I haven't noticed big pharma suing the hell out of our public medical research centers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Ronald Reagan's ghost.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 08:59:02 AM

Well let's just say that historically this industry has not been all rainbows and lollipops.

Heh, doing some work decades ago on a friend's barn, we found a whole cache of cool patent-medicine bottles buried in the back - that is, furthest from the door. It was obvious that some previous inhabitant was of the habit of going into the very back of the barn and swigging that stuff down - given that most of it was laudinum ...

Anyway, the bottles were very cool, with raised lettering in the glass. I'm sorry I didn't keep one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Patents.
:huh:  How to patents keep non-profits from inventing vaccines?

For that matter, why do we have vaccines for smallpox or tetanus when it suits "pharma" better to treat smallpox or tetanus than prevent it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

If Big Pharma had been around in the 18th century we would all have treated smallpox today.

crazy canuck

Patents.

The correct answer is that there are a number of not for profit organizations working on this including not for profits here in Vancouver.