Would you want advance warning of your own death?

Started by Malthus, March 31, 2015, 03:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Not sure of we've debated this before.

Here's the question: if it was up to you, would you prefer to die suddenly and without warning, or would you want advance warning - like (say) a doctor telling you "you have exactly one month to live" - so you could put your affairs in order, say goodbye to friends & family, etc.?

Assume the actual method of death was painless in either case and could not be prevented.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 03:18:12 PM
Does premise assume warning is accurate?

Yup. Infallible.

Also, in either case, you would get the exact same amount of life-span.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

crazy canuck

I would like to know.  I would also like to know when my health would no longer allow me to be active.  Those are two variables that would be important in planning what I wish to do for the rest of my life.

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2015, 03:16:51 PM
Not sure of we've debated this before.

Here's the question: if it was up to you, would you prefer to die suddenly and without warning, or would you want advance warning - like (say) a doctor telling you "you have exactly one month to live" - so you could put your affairs in order, say goodbye to friends & family, etc.?

Assume the actual method of death was painless in either case and could not be prevented.

Im sorry man, I did not know you had cancer.
Please forgive me for all my agressive and trollish behavior towards you.
You derserve better.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

I think some of us just die a little bit each day here on Languish.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Personally, I would not like to know.

Knowing the impact my death would have on my family though I would want to know so that I could put my affairs in order prior to my passing, rather than leave it up to family to do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

grumbler

Suddenly, without a doubt.  Instantaneously, by preference.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2015, 03:38:51 PM
I think some of us just die a little bit each day here on Languish.

That's a pity.  Poor you. :console:

Maybe that's why you seem so fixated on the idea of outliving me... because it seems so unlikely.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 03:44:13 PM
Why must you always be such a prick?

Why must you ask such assholish and aggressive questions?

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Why does every thread have to be about grumbler's death?  Face it, if it hasn't happened by now, it never will.