Main Menu

Power failure in Turkey

Started by Syt, March 31, 2015, 06:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Where in Turkey? EVERYWHERE (almost).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32130567

QuoteTurkey power cut hits big cities

A massive power cut has hit dozens of provinces across Turkey, with officials saying a break in connections with mainland Europe could be to blame.

The cuts affected power stations and public transport, including Istanbul's tram and metro systems.

A crisis centre has been set up at the energy ministry.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has said all possible causes are being examined, including terrorism. The cut hit at 10:36 (07:36 GMT) on Tuesday morning.

By early afternoon the Turkish Electricity Transmission company said only 15% of Istanbul and Ankara had power. Istanbul's transport company said all of its lines were back up and running.

Turkish TV reported that power had been re-established in the cities of Edirne, Tekirdag, Erzurum and Trabzon.

"Our main target right now is to restore the network. This is not an incident that we see frequently," Energy Minister Taner Yildiz told Turkish media.

Turkey suffers from sporadic electricity cuts but locals say they cannot remember such a nationwide cut for a generation, reports the BBC's Mark Lowen in Istanbul.

One of the few cities unaffected by the power cut was Van in the east of the country, where electricity is supplied from Iran.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Holland had one a couple of days ago:
QuotePower returns to Amsterdam after outage hits a million homes
AMSTERDAM | BY THOMAS ESCRITT
(Reuters) - The Amsterdam region suffered a power blackout of more than five hours on Friday that hit a million households, forced flights to divert from Schiphol airport and disrupted national public transport networks.

After more than two hours without power, lights switched back on in the Amsterdam financial district and gradually returned to cities across the province of Noord Holland, home to a sixth of the country's 17 million people.

"The power outage brought trams and metros to a standstill, traffic lights went out and people were trapped in lifts," the city of Amsterdam said in a statement. There were no reports of injuries or security problems.

Power outages on this scale are rare in Europe. In December 2013, storm damage deprived 240,000 homes of electricity in France, mostly in coastal Brittany and Normandy.

The most recent region-wide outage was on November 4, 2006, when 15 million people in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Spain and Portugal lost power, according to the International Energy Agency.

Travellers faced huge delays on trains on Friday as computer systems were put back online and stations filled with passengers.

Major delays were also reported at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, where all flights were briefly suspended and inbound planes diverted to regional airports. Amsterdam-bound airliners were delayed on the tarmac on airports throughout Europe.

Two hours after the start of blackout, grid operator TenneT said on its twitter feed that it had restored power to its high voltage network in the densely populated province, though restoring local grids one by one took several hours more.

Syt

Also, there appears to be a hostage situation in Istanbul where a left wing group have taken a prosecutor hostage. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2015, 07:03:14 AM
Also, there appears to be a hostage situation in Istanbul where a left wing group have taken a prosecutor hostage. :unsure:

So is that the actual reason for the power failure?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2015, 06:37:59 AM
Sounds like a job for Valmy.

Turkish Valmy is launching a full investigation I am sure. Seriously an event like this in Texas would mean months of work as the recriminations and finger pointing would overwhelm the political system :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

That would make for a more entertaining outage report than the kind I get to write.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

All dead. Power is back on.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

QuoteAfter more than two hours without power, lights switched back on in the Amsterdam financial district and gradually returned to cities across the province of Noord Holland

Sounds about right.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Solmyr

I thought the thread title referred to Erdogan failing.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on April 01, 2015, 06:38:23 AM
I thought the thread title referred to Erdogan failing.

He probably switched on one too many lights in his palace.