Would you want advance warning of your own death?

Started by Malthus, March 31, 2015, 03:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: Siege on March 31, 2015, 03:26:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2015, 03:16:51 PM
Not sure of we've debated this before.

Here's the question: if it was up to you, would you prefer to die suddenly and without warning, or would you want advance warning - like (say) a doctor telling you "you have exactly one month to live" - so you could put your affairs in order, say goodbye to friends & family, etc.?

Assume the actual method of death was painless in either case and could not be prevented.

Im sorry man, I did not know you had cancer.
Please forgive me for all my agressive and trollish behavior towards you.
You derserve better.

He's not dieing, he just knows that when he gets caught, he will face the death penalty.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2015, 03:43:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2015, 03:38:51 PM
I think some of us just die a little bit each day here on Languish.

That's a pity.  Poor you. :console:

Maybe that's why you seem so fixated on the idea of outliving me... because it seems so unlikely.

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2015, 03:48:12 PM

A big plus is they waste ever more of his limited remaining life span, time he might otherwise have used to post snide, rude or offensive comments targeting vulnerable members of our community; so by all means please do carry on stalking posting these comments.
All I have to do is cut and paste this reply, say 10 seconds efforts vs however long you burn up in constructing these little efforts, which are less to do with the topic at hand and more about showing your true character.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Here's the question: if it was up to you, would you prefer to die suddenly and without warning, or would you want advance warning - like (say) a doctor telling you "you have exactly one month to live" - so you could put your affairs in order, say goodbye to friends & family, etc.?

Assume the actual method of death was painless in either case and could not be prevented.

I know living each day as if it's you last is a clique, but maybe there's some merit to living each new month as if it'll be your last?

Which is sort of my answer to your question, but of course very few deaths are painless if you include the run up to them, so often the increasingly pain filled life gives people notice.  Perhaps a painless death isn't something to aspire to??

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 03:47:05 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 31, 2015, 03:26:21 PM

Im sorry man, I did not know you had cancer.
Please forgive me for all my agressive and trollish behavior towards you.
You derserve better.

He's not dieing, he just knows that when he gets caught, he will face the death penalty.

In my country, the'll have to re-institute it just for me.  :D

Which really raises the question of what I have done ...  :hmm:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2015, 03:45:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 03:44:13 PM
Why must you always be such a prick?

Why must you ask such assholish and aggressive questions?

Just wanted to know why you must always be such a prick?

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2015, 03:53:56 PM

I know living each day as if it's you last is a clique, but maybe there's some merit to living each new month as if it'll be your last?

But the problem is I have too many responsibilities to the people who work for me and my clients to simply live each day/month as if it were my last.  However if I knew in advance what day was going to be my last I would be able to plan accordingly.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 04:03:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2015, 03:53:56 PM

But the problem is I have too many responsibilities to the people who work for me and my clients to simply live each day/month as if it were my last.  However if I knew in advance what day was going to be my last I would be able to plan accordingly.

It's certainly an interesting question/situation and these responsibilities do just keep creeping up on you as you get older.

My own dilemma is less about Malthus's original post and more that I know tomorrow is a day I could enjoy with a middle aged persons level of activity and fitness, rather than trade if for x-extras days at the end when one is an infirm, dependent old person.

LaCroix

i'd like to know. knowing would offer me the opportunity to make better use of my remaining time. could be really fun.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2015, 03:20:42 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 03:18:12 PM
Does premise assume warning is accurate?

Yup. Infallible.

With this and a bit of warning you can win at least one crazy bet and set your family up for life.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I've already prepared for my death the best I could, knowing exactly when it comes won't change much.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on March 31, 2015, 06:12:07 PM

I've already prepared for my death the best I could, knowing exactly when it comes won't change much.

If you knew you were going to die in three weeks you would probably stop working and collect vacation pay while spending time with your loved ones.

alfred russel

I'd want to know.

I have some credit cards with very high limits, not to mention some retirement accounts I wouldn't be needing. 3 weeks of utter depravity would ensue. And since I know when I will die, getting in that deathbed confession won't be hard either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Definitely.  That's one of the least certain variables in retirement planning.  I'd like to optimise my financial allocations.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 03:44:13 PM
Why must you always be such a prick?

"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose,
by any other name would smell as sweet..."

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Tonitrus

Yes...then I can budget properly for the hookers and blow.