McDonald’s all day breakfast is coming. This is NOT a drill

Started by garbon, March 31, 2015, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2015, 05:51:32 PM
That's why it's good to run on a treadmill that tells you how many calories you've burned (even though I concede those probably aren't that accurate).  It's kind of eye opening to feel like you've busted your ass for a bit only to look at the display and see you've only burned 200 calories. :D

Ironically I have the opposite problem with my oldest son.  He often underestimates how much he needs to eat during the day to fuel his training regime and he often ends up being too tired to eat at the end of the day.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've actually been getting more exercise lately.  They started this running group at the Psychiatrists office, and let me tell you, when you see a pack of jabbering maniacs behind you, you run fast!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 04:48:49 PM
Exercise is good for your health in general, but the idea that you have to exercise to lose weight is highly disastrous for society's waistline.  It makes people think it's harder to lose weight than it really is, so they don't even try (for long).  It is more than sufficient for most people to merely eat properly, or more accurately to not eat improperly.  Just cut 80% of the sugary shit out of your diet.

This.  I lost about 20 lbs gradually over the past 1.5 years from simple dietary adjustments, and I don't do any "formal" exercise whatsoever, beyond trying to go for a daily walk or taking the stairs instead of the escalators at malls and whatnaught.

PDH

I don't know.  Raz's "Chased by lunatics" system could revolutionize the exercise industry.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2015, 06:01:41 PM
I've actually been getting more exercise lately.  They started this running group at the Psychiatrists office, and let me tell you, when you see a pack of jabbering maniacs behind you, you run fast!
I just got the picture of the dream team.

L to R; Grumbler, Seedy, Raz, and Ed.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2015, 07:43:41 PM
As long as I ain't Flounder.

You are more of a Lumiere these days. "oui oui, madame. enchante." etc.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on April 01, 2015, 07:40:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2015, 06:01:41 PM
I just got the picture of the dream team.

L to R; Grumbler, Seedy, Raz, and Ed.

:lmfao:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 04:48:49 PM
Exercise is good for your health in general, but the idea that you have to exercise to lose weight is highly disastrous for society's waistline.  It makes people think it's harder to lose weight than it really is, so they don't even try (for long).  It is more than sufficient for most people to merely eat properly, or more accurately to not eat improperly.  Just cut 80% of the sugary shit out of your diet.

This is why it's more important to focus on health, and not numbers on a scale.

People should exercise because it's healthy and good for them.  Just cutting back on calories and losing weight isn't actually getting you any healthier than you were being fat if you are still eating junk (though less of it) and not exercising.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 10:22:46 PM
Sounds nice in theory, but in practice, that's just a blah-blah excuse for ignoring the numbers on a scale.  And numbers on a scale do have an effect on your health, even with all else being the same.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2015, 10:31:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 10:22:46 PM
Sounds nice in theory, but in practice, that's just a blah-blah excuse for ignoring the numbers on a scale.  And numbers on a scale do have an effect on your health, even with all else being the same.

You can focus on numbers that reflect fitness. Say a combination of how many pull ups you can do, how many crunches in a time period, and how long it takes you to run a certain distance. Say like the fitness test used by the marines.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

It has been my experience that in this culture you have to work at it or you will be fat. I just remember how weird it was to go to France, basically do the same shit I did here, and drop weight like nobody's business. So it does not surprise me alot of people are obese, they are just doing what is normal.

Our agricultural past leads to celebrate most major occasions with food. That is a biggie. Another is we are often too busy to really think about what we eat. It is a constant struggle for me, I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact I am going to be going to weight watchers my whole life. Got to make a point to exercise and all that. I am just a tad annoyed that it requires that much effort for me to live here and not be overweight. If only I had a crazy hobby like Dorsey.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 08:24:40 AM
It has been my experience that in this culture you have to work at it or you will be fat. I just remember how weird it was to go to France, basically do the same shit I did here, and drop weight like nobody's business. So it does not surprise me alot of people are obese, they are just doing what is normal.

Our agricultural past leads to celebrate most major occasions with food. That is a biggie. Another is we are often too busy to really think about what we eat. It is a constant struggle for me, I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact I am going to be going to weight watchers my whole life. Got to make a point to exercise and all that. I am just a tad annoyed that it requires that much effort for me to live here and not be overweight. If only I had a crazy hobby like Dorsey.
How many major occasions do we have?  I don't think it's a bigger, and it's a biggie only to extent that we feel comfortable with pure gluttony.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 02, 2015, 09:56:49 AM
How many major occasions do we have?  I don't think it's a bigger, and it's a biggie only to extent that we feel comfortable with pure gluttony.

Any type of gathering means overeating.