Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2015, 12:30:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 05:31:22 PM
With recent media coverage, it looks like people are right to not openly talk about mental conditions they may have suffered from at one point. I just saw an article that noted confusion as to why he was ever allowed to be a pilot when he told them he had once suffered a severe depressive episode.

Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot. Better to weed them out early before they mass murder people.

Yes because that is what depression is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2015, 06:19:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2015, 04:24:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2015, 04:18:49 PM
Self-flying planes may actually be a thing of the future.  Airplanes can mostly fly themselves already.

I kind of doubt it, actually. I think we will see more and more automation, of course, but it is going to be a long time before a auto pilot can handle the emergencies as well as a well trained human.

Yeah, you'd have to completely rewire the flux capacitor and probably employ protomatter in the Genesis matrix to create an autopilot capable of flying a plane.  What are you basing this on?  Gut feeling?

Anyway, could passenger planes be flown like drones are?  If passenger flights were drones, you get rid of the risk of terrorist takeover as well as mass-murder by pilot pique.  Furthermore, it would eliminate fatigue-induced accidents, to whatever extent those exist.  (Now, I'll add the caveat I do not know how viable this is.  But drones seem to work for military applications.)

Military drones are flown by pilots. They are simply not inside.

Trains are, I think, a much better example. They are perfectly capable of working on their own, yet we still put a dude in command for whatever the reason (peace of mind, insurance, etc).

Tamas

Self-flying planes may actually be a thing of the future.  Airplanes can mostly fly themselves already.

I kind of doubt it, actually. I think we will see more and more automation, of course, but it is going to be a long time before a auto pilot can handle the emergencies as well as a well trained human.

Yeah, you'd have to completely rewire the flux capacitor and probably employ protomatter in the Genesis matrix to create an autopilot capable of flying a plane.  What are you basing this on?  Gut feeling?

Anyway, could passenger planes be flown like drones are?  If passenger flights were drones, you get rid of the risk of terrorist takeover as well as mass-murder by pilot pique.  Furthermore, it would eliminate fatigue-induced accidents, to whatever extent those exist.  (Now, I'll add the caveat I do not know how viable this is.  But drones seem to work for military applications.)

Until somebody builds a radio transmitter capable of taking over remote control of the plane and smash it to the ground or into a building. There is no fail safe method.

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on April 01, 2015, 03:00:45 AM

Trains are, I think, a much better example. They are perfectly capable of working on their own, yet we still put a dude in command for whatever the reason (peace of mind, insurance, etc).

I blame Stephen King.

Btw, crop for the love of Hod.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2015, 03:03:21 AM
Until somebody builds a radio transmitter capable of taking over remote control of the plane and smash it to the ground or into a building. There is no fail safe method.
A much more likely scenario is that the pilot loses connection to the plane for technical reasons (satellite failure, antenna broken, solar storm etc.) and can't reestablish the connection before the plane crashes somewhere. That's not a huge deal with unmanned drones, but it would be a disaster with people on board the plane.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2015, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM
He could have reprogrammed the autopilot to descend to 'x' feet.  You can also program the descent rate and the aircraft will hold that as well.  You can cancel that at any time and take control, but of course you can't do that while unconscious. :(
...or insane. :wacko:

My initial posts in this thread were pretty great, I must say.  I should be an expert witness in aviation trials. :showoff:
I think I did okay as well.  While it turned out that the pilots weren't unconscious, one was fully conscious and one was completely absent, so on average I was right.  And while it turned out that none of the planes are equipped with autopilot programming that I thought they were equipped it, some of that programming would in fact be practical to implement at some time in the future.  :smarty:

Eddie Teach

Caliga loses points for posting a news story without commentary beyond a single emoticon.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Drones work for military applications in large part because the very concept of the drone includes the idea that they are mostly dispensable. That is the entire fucking point of a drone - there isn't a person in it, so if the pilot oopsie crashes it, it isn't nearly as big a deal, or if it gets shot down or whatever.

A commercial airliner is exactly the *opposite* of a drone when it comes to tolerance for error on the part of the operator, or the system not having the same level of fidelity as an actual pilot sitting in the plane itself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2015, 09:36:29 AM
Drones work for military applications in large part because the very concept of the drone includes the idea that they are mostly dispensable. That is the entire fucking point of a drone - there isn't a person in it, so if the pilot oopsie crashes it, it isn't nearly as big a deal, or if it gets shot down or whatever.

A commercial airliner is exactly the *opposite* of a drone when it comes to tolerance for error on the part of the operator, or the system not having the same level of fidelity as an actual pilot sitting in the plane itself.

Agreed. The pilot is the last person you will take out of any given type of flying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2015, 02:23:03 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 01, 2015, 12:30:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 05:31:22 PM
With recent media coverage, it looks like people are right to not openly talk about mental conditions they may have suffered from at one point. I just saw an article that noted confusion as to why he was ever allowed to be a pilot when he told them he had once suffered a severe depressive episode.

Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot. Better to weed them out early before they mass murder people.

Yes because that is what depression is.

This is a safety issue. Safety first. Period.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2015, 08:09:46 AM
Caliga loses points for posting a news story without commentary beyond a single emoticon.  :P
What was I going to say at that point?  I guess I could have pulled a Tim and said "Monstrous." :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2015, 10:31:44 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 01, 2015, 09:36:29 AM

Agreed. The pilot is the last person you will take out of any given type of flying.

Indeed.  It might get more and more automated, perhaps even to the point where the pilot is there almost only as a backup for emergencies, but it's hard to imagine any time in the near future that 100-200+ humans will entrust their lives entirely to automated control.

Just like even self-driving cars will likely always maintain manual controls for override purposes.

This attitude might change after several generations of flawless automated operation...but that's too far off yet.

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on April 01, 2015, 03:00:45 AM

No, I know.  Anyway, it was just an idea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 01, 2015, 09:40:57 PM
Just like even self-driving cars will likely always maintain manual controls for override purposes.

This attitude might change after several generations of flawless automated operation...but that's too far off yet.

It won't be that long. As soon as automated systems are safer than humans on average, we won't be able to engage manual override without losing insurance coverage.