Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM
He could have reprogrammed the autopilot to descend to 'x' feet.  You can also program the descent rate and the aircraft will hold that as well.  You can cancel that at any time and take control, but of course you can't do that while unconscious. :(
...or insane. :wacko:

My initial posts in this thread were pretty great, I must say.  I should be an expert witness in aviation trials. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2015, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 24, 2015, 06:35:33 PM
He could have reprogrammed the autopilot to descend to 'x' feet.  You can also program the descent rate and the aircraft will hold that as well.  You can cancel that at any time and take control, but of course you can't do that while unconscious. :(
...or insane. :wacko:

My initial posts in this thread were pretty great, I must say.  I should be an expert witness in aviation trials. :showoff:

You could discuss and debate with the guy that found amelia earhart's plane.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

There's supposed to be a cell phone video floating around Germany media from inside the cabin.  The Wolfman was speculating someone on the wreckage team lifted a SIM card and sold the video.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2015, 05:27:37 PM
There's supposed to be a cell phone video floating around Germany media from inside the cabin.  The Wolfman was speculating someone on the wreckage team lifted a SIM card and sold the video.
I saw that story strenuously denied by some Frenchman.

Admiral Yi

Makes as much sense to me that someone phoned the video to someone else, who then sold it.

garbon

With recent media coverage, it looks like people are right to not openly talk about mental conditions they may have suffered from at one point. I just saw an article that noted confusion as to why he was ever allowed to be a pilot when he told them he had once suffered a severe depressive episode.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2015, 05:31:22 PM
With recent media coverage, it looks like people are right to not openly talk about mental conditions they may have suffered from at one point. I just saw an article that noted confusion as to why he was ever allowed to be a pilot when he told them he had once suffered a severe depressive episode.

So the article questions why he was not discriminated on based on his disability?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

This attitude is not uncommon over here and it's why seeking therapy carries a fair bit of stigma still.  Though it's starting to get better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 05:36:48 PM

So the article questions why he was not discriminated on based on his disability?

It has actually been quite an uphill fight to get mental disorders properly classified as disabilities.  The ADA amendment in 2008 stopped what had been a continuous slide in the courts towards only considering debilitating conditions to be disabilities.  Prior to 01JAN09 a company could probably get away with a policy of not hiring depressed people.  Under the current wording they would probably lose.  I think it is still hard to prove a discrimination case for something like that unless it is blatant.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 31, 2015, 06:01:50 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 31, 2015, 05:36:48 PM

It has actually been quite an uphill fight to get mental disorders properly classified as disabilities.  The ADA amendment in 2008 stopped what had been a continuous slide in the courts towards only considering debilitating conditions to be disabilities.  Prior to 01JAN09 a company could probably get away with a policy of not hiring depressed people.  Under the current wording they would probably lose.  I think it is still hard to prove a discrimination case for something like that unless it is blatant.

Interesting.  Here its the other way around.  Some might argue that the definition of a disability has become too expansive.  In any event it would include a mental disorder or mental illness.  Also the level of proof required to establish a discriminatory act is very low.  The complainant need only establish the disability played some factor in the alleged discriminatory decision.  It need not be the main reason.  So in many cases the existence of the disability creates a prima facie case which is difficult for an employer to rebut.

Admiral Yi

What do you think Germanwings should have done with this information?

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on March 28, 2015, 09:34:42 AM
I flew on the return trip of that Germanwings flight a few months ago.

There was a funny moment in my flight today when the captain went to take a leak. As he opened the door to the cockpit, he turned around to see quite a few people watching intently. The bastard laughed his ass off.  :lol:

It's hi-larious.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2015, 04:24:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2015, 04:18:49 PM
Self-flying planes may actually be a thing of the future.  Airplanes can mostly fly themselves already.

I kind of doubt it, actually. I think we will see more and more automation, of course, but it is going to be a long time before a auto pilot can handle the emergencies as well as a well trained human.

Yeah, you'd have to completely rewire the flux capacitor and probably employ protomatter in the Genesis matrix to create an autopilot capable of flying a plane.  What are you basing this on?  Gut feeling?

Anyway, could passenger planes be flown like drones are?  If passenger flights were drones, you get rid of the risk of terrorist takeover as well as mass-murder by pilot pique.  Furthermore, it would eliminate fatigue-induced accidents, to whatever extent those exist.  (Now, I'll add the caveat I do not know how viable this is.  But drones seem to work for military applications.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot. Better to weed them out early before they mass murder people.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.