Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Human error caused this crash and a lot more besides, including 9/11, Tenerife and others. Taking pilots out of the picture seems reasonable. We are close to self-driving cars, flying a plane seems easier than driving a car.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 27, 2015, 04:24:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2015, 04:18:49 PM
Self-flying planes may actually be a thing of the future.  Airplanes can mostly fly themselves already.

I kind of doubt it, actually. I think we will see more and more automation, of course, but it is going to be a long time before a auto pilot can handle the emergencies as well as a well trained human.
Maybe it won't be able to handle emergencies as well as a human, but it will also have a lot less emergencies to deal with.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2015, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2015, 03:40:10 PM
Is there a "second amendment solution" to this problem?

If only the pilot had a gun he could have just shot himself.

I don't think that would have stopped the copilot from crashing the plane, though it may have stopped the copilot from killing the pilot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

I flew on the return trip of that Germanwings flight a few months ago.

There was a funny moment in my flight today when the captain went to take a leak. As he opened the door to the cockpit, he turned around to see quite a few people watching intently. The bastard laughed his ass off.  :lol:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Iormlund on March 28, 2015, 09:34:42 AM
I flew on the return trip of that Germanwings flight a few months ago.

There was a funny moment in my flight today when the captain went to take a leak. As he opened the door to the cockpit, he turned around to see quite a few people watching intently. The bastard laughed his ass off.  :lol:

:D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on March 27, 2015, 05:07:53 PM
Human error caused this crash and a lot more besides, including 9/11, Tenerife and others. Taking pilots out of the picture seems reasonable. We are close to self-driving cars, flying a plane seems easier than driving a car.

We need Apple to design self-flying planes.

Their batteries will run out mid-flight and the windshield will break easily but you will be able to use your iPhone (and ONLY iPhone) mid-flight.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on March 30, 2015, 08:48:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 30, 2015, 06:31:41 PM
Co-pilot was treated for suicidal tendencies.

Apparently, the treatment was unsuccessful.

I imagine they have patient simulators in psychiatrist school, and a suicidal patient is one of the simulations. If you give him good advice, he goes on to live a happy and fulfilled life. If you do poorly, he kills himself. If you do REALLY poorly, this happens.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

They seemed to have been partially successful.  The guy didn't kill himself for a while.

Razgovory

Seems he was cracking up under the pressure, and was convinced his eye sight was going (the doctors said it was all in his head), he may have had a total psychotic break.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Mr. President, I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2015, 08:37:51 AM
Mr. President, I don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up.

:lmfao:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on March 31, 2015, 08:37:51 AM

:lol: