Germanwings Flight Carrying at Least 148 Crashes in Southern France

Started by Caliga, March 24, 2015, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on March 25, 2015, 10:28:33 AM
What about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrain_awareness_and_warning_system ?

The weather was clear; had the pilots been conscious, they wouldn't have needed such a warning system to tell them they were about to hit a mountain.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Yeah, the stuff the wiki article mentions is all around *warnings* and alerts. That would not help in our hypothetical of the plane under some kind of autopilot.

Under our hypothetical, the plane could have been warning them like crazy they were about to fly into a mountain.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I'm guessing we are all on the side of some sort of malfunction.  Depressurization is possible, but I suppose so is some type of fire or catastrophic loss of control.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on March 25, 2015, 11:33:35 AM
Yeah, the stuff the wiki article mentions is all around *warnings* and alerts. That would not help in our hypothetical of the plane under some kind of autopilot.

Under our hypothetical, the plane could have been warning them like crazy they were about to fly into a mountain.
Yeah, but theoretically, if you can generate a warning, you can generate an input for the survival auto-pilot.

Zanza

I wonder what the point of Hollande, Rajoy and Merkel flying there and looking sad is. This accident surely doesn't have a political component, so what's their role in this?

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2015, 02:37:19 PM
I wonder what the point of Hollande, Rajoy and Merkel flying there and looking sad is. This accident surely doesn't have a political component, so what's their role in this?

Any of them nearing election time, in a popularity slump or owe one of the others a favour?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I once was an expert witness in a plagiarism trial regarding a children TV program. The plaintiff lost - on one hand it was painfully obvious they had ripped off her work, but on the other hand it's not like she created something so unmistakably unique as to merit protection by itself.

EDIT: Meh, wrong thread. Off to the Jeremy Clarkson one.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Liep

So apparently one pilot was locked out of the cockpit just before the descent began. Whether the pilot left inside was incapacitated or doing it willfully is left unknown, but the black box has audio of the outside pilot trying to smash open the door.

I think this is gonna get weird.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html?_r=0
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2015, 02:37:19 PM

Avoiding accusations of indifference.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Quote from: Liep on March 25, 2015, 07:17:20 PM
So apparently one pilot was locked out of the cockpit just before the descent began. Whether the pilot left inside was incapacitated or doing it willfully is left unknown, but the black box has audio of the outside pilot trying to smash open the door.

I think this is gonna get weird.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html?_r=0

I just read that, does not sound good. Whatever the reason, the passengers would have noticed this, makes for a long terrifying end for them.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 25, 2015, 07:26:13 PM
I just read that, does not sound good. Whatever the reason, the passengers would have noticed this, makes for a long terrifying end for them.
:yes:  :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points