South Carolina War Plaques Are 'Glorifying Segregation,' Mayor Says

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2015, 08:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2015, 12:50:31 PM
QuoteAdams raised $15,000 to build new plaques in which the dead would be listed alphabetically instead. But those new plaques are still sitting in his office due to a state law passed 15 years ago that prohibits changing historical monuments without two-thirds vote of the legislature

OMG local government's rights!

Greenwood should secede.

Stopping local initiatives like this is almost certainly why the state requirement was passed 15 years ago. The state is probably concerned that more diverse local communities will replace the pro confederate memorials around the state.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2015, 01:29:58 PM
If you mean majority black, why don't you just say that?

Because I didn't mean that?

There are diverse parts of the state with lots of latino and northern immigration as well (which when combined with the black population form a majority).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Seems like it would have been prudent to get legislative approval before spending the $15,000.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2015, 11:38:14 AM
Are we speaking of actual people?

For all I know they are actual people.  They could be robots in disguise.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2015, 09:06:20 PM
Seems like it would have been prudent to get legislative approval before spending the $15,000.

But that would have skipped the outrage.  :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2015, 01:09:19 PM
Seems to me the current memorial is both a fitting tribute to the colored black soldiers and a worthwhile reminder of how attitudes have changed.

+1

Denial of history, as practised in dumps like Russia, has never appealed to me.

The troops were segregated till 1954 or so, why we would we want to forget that?

Richard Hakluyt

Here is an article by a complete fucking idiot in Britain :

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/17/statue-celebrate-disabled-peoples-achievements

"Isn't it time that the contribution and achievements of disabled people gained a public presence through some kind of visual symbol?" the article begins, followed by the usual pleading and whining.

Meanwhile, ask any person who has lived in London or been a tourist there what is the most prominent statue, it is that of Admiral Lord Nelson (minus one arm and one eye).

Richard Hakluyt

BTW there is an obvious compromise for the SC plaques, list the dead by regiment/unit. That not only preserves the reality of segregation and honours their sacrifice but also provide useful information for people interested in what actually happened.

Siege

I think we should strike down all memorials.
Why remember some people and forget others.
We need to reduce the gap between remembered and forgotten people.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on March 23, 2015, 01:56:36 PM

This is the kind of innovative thinking we need in local government.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bcoStFk4s

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2015, 02:03:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_bcoStFk4s

;)
:lol:

NMA would have been a great band if Sullivan had been a bit less of a mushmouth.  As it is, they were still a great cult hit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!