South Carolina War Plaques Are 'Glorifying Segregation,' Mayor Says

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2015, 08:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I wouldn't say it's "glorifying" segregation, but it is offensive and should be changed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/south-carolina-town-embroiled-controversy-over-war-plaques-n327816

QuoteSouth Carolina War Plaques Are 'Glorifying Segregation,' Mayor Says

By Mark Potter

An aging war memorial that pays tribute to "white" and "colored" soldiers in a once-segregated South Carolina town is creating a new divide.

The memorial on Main Street in Greenwood, a small city of 23,000, honors the fallen from World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam. The dead from the two World Wars are listed by their race — which Greenwood Mayor Welborn Adams says is unacceptable.

"The term 'colored' is offensive. It's offensive to me, so I can only imagine how it feels to African-Americans," he said. "I don't think Main Street is where you should be glorifying segregation."

Adams raised $15,000 to build new plaques in which the dead would be listed alphabetically instead. But those new plaques are still sitting in his office due to a state law passed 15 years ago that prohibits changing historical monuments without two-thirds vote of the legislature.

Adams has faced arrest threats and allegations of trying to erase history. He tried to hold a ceremony in January unveiling the plaques, but the state law prevented him from mounting them.

"[People] need to know about the time the country was not always as welcoming and integrated as it is now for different races," said former National Park historian and painter Eric Williams, who believes the old plaques should stay where they are.

But State Sen. Floyd Nicholson disagrees, and has introduced a bill to change the plaques.

"I think it's so important they be given the same respect. It's not about race. They were willing to give their life for this country," he said.

The plaques also anger many residents of Greenwood, which is 42 percent black.

"I grew up here, but when I see it in black and white, it just bothers me," Scarlett Phillips said.

It seems unlikely Nicholson's bill will pass this year. The mayor says he is considering a lawsuit against the state.

"It's a segregation between men who all paid the same sacrifice, were all serving the same country, together, fighting the same war," Adams said. "You are lessening these African-Americans' sacrifice."
— With Elizabeth Chuck
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I like how they're so white-centric that they automatically think that it's the blacks who are lessened by the separation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2015, 08:19:16 AM
Quote"The term 'colored' is offensive. It's offensive to me, so I can only imagine how it feels to African-Americans,"

:lol:

garbon

I would think someone was trying and failing to be racist if they were to call me coloured.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

i found it funny because it's a white guy getting all agitated over it, like with so many other uproars. but, it's probably political.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2015, 09:54:46 AM
I would think someone was trying and failing to be racist if they were to call me coloured.

People sometimes call me colorless.  Bloodless as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Eddie Teach

"It's a segregation between men who all paid the same sacrifice, were all serving the same country, together, fighting the same war," Adams said. "You are lessening these African-Americans' sacrifice."

How is it lessened?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 22, 2015, 11:53:39 AM

How is it lessened?

You are questioning the word of a white man?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Valmy

QuoteAdams raised $15,000 to build new plaques in which the dead would be listed alphabetically instead. But those new plaques are still sitting in his office due to a state law passed 15 years ago that prohibits changing historical monuments without two-thirds vote of the legislature

OMG local government's rights!

Greenwood should secede.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Seems to me the current memorial is both a fitting tribute to the colored black soldiers and a worthwhile reminder of how attitudes have changed.