Will bi-annual time change be dropped in near future?

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2015, 02:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It doesn't make any sense any more. It doesn't save energy and causes health problems.

The Brain

Do you save energy? We know you people cause health problems.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

PJL

It makes more sense to have a winter time and call the summer time the new normal as it covers 7 months of the year while the normal time only lasts 5 months. So as of next week, British Winter Time will be ending, and we'll be using CET for the summer.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 02:26:13 AM
It doesn't make any sense any more. It doesn't save energy and causes health problems.
I'd prefer to stay on summer time all year long.  But most people would be depressed going to work and school while it's still dark outside, so I'm not holding my breath for this.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

The daylight saving time wasn't made for farmers.
It makes absolutely no sense anymore.
But keep a nuisance like that going. More sleep-deprived angry people will surely just be a boon to society.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on March 21, 2015, 08:52:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2015, 02:26:13 AM
I'd prefer to stay on summer time all year long.  But most people would be depressed going to work and school while it's still dark outside, so I'm not holding my breath for this.

Yeah, same. I'd rather have longer daylight evenings than light at 6 a.m.

Norgy

Me too.
6 AM is for old people (shit, like me!) and the paper delivery.

Martinus

Well, I do get up at 6 a.m. every day - I just hate it when it gets dark at 3 p.m. in winter.

Norgy

That happens around December. But it is dreary, I agree.

The sun sets here at around 6 pm now. Which is nice. Then there's room for a walk or a run while there's still daylight after work. Turning the clock one hour forward just gives me more daylight during hours I normally sleep. It. Makes. No. Bloody. Sense.

Daylight saving is the time equivalent of Nazis and the IS. And Byzanteens. And alt-hist fans.

celedhring

Tonitrus

I'd think a tradeoff could be business/government simply changing operating hours around those times, but we know that would never happen.

But then it'd at least be more of a choice than a mandate from on high.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

As I said it saves lives.
Don't Change the clocks and you have people traveling to work, and school, in darkness.
It's a recipe for dead kids.
██████
██████
██████