Will bi-annual time change be dropped in near future?

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2015, 02:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2015, 07:13:23 AM
As I said it saves lives.
Don't Change the clocks and you have people traveling to work, and school, in darkness.
It's a recipe for dead kids.

Well school kids aren't involved but in winter, you have people traveling home in darkness. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

There really doesn't seem to be a good idea for this anymore. Not even sure what the original idea was for, during wartime or something? I'd be fine and would vote for keeping one time year round, whether that's daylight slaving time or winter time.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2015, 09:56:23 AM
Don't Change the clocks and you have people traveling to work, and school, in darkness.

Well school kids aren't involved but in winter, you have people traveling home in darkness. :huh:

In the uk it is unavoidable to have one of them in the dark, might  as well make the most dangerous one and the one involving kids safer
██████
██████
██████

HisMajestyBOB

Split the difference and use winter time +30min.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

sbr

I don't understand how anyone can be so physically and emotionally frail that moving the clocks one hour throws their entire lives off for more than 20 minutes.

The Brain

Quote from: sbr on March 22, 2015, 04:14:41 PM
I don't understand how anyone can be so physically and emotionally frail that moving the clocks one hour throws their entire lives off for more than 20 minutes.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

I heard that the morning of the forward change is a really bad day for car accidents.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: sbr on March 22, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

I don't see why it is necessary / I'll admit that most of the time, I don't change my clocks...I just adopt a new rule for telling what time it is. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2015, 09:56:23 AM

the idea being, that fresh out of their bed, half asleep before the first 3 coffees, a lot of people would fall asleep at the wheel* in the morning, rather than after 7h-8hrs of work and half a dozen coffees.

I suppose it could happen.

*or simply have less attention on the road.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

If Daylight Savings time is so great why not just have it year round. We could rename it 'time' instead and save everybody a bunch of trouble.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Or just get up and go to bed earlier. Like old people.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?