News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[board] The Battlestar Galactica Languish Project

Started by Tamas, June 18, 2009, 09:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So I tell the truth and noone believes me. Sigh.

If I were the Cylon, would I say I did it? I would try to shift the blame to the Admiral and sow discord and paranoia among the ranks of Battlestar Galactica. Instead I come clear, with open hands. And you want to throw me into the brig, even though I'm the only scientist you have on board, who can help you identify the real Cylon - once they awaken of course, because right now it seems we don't have any - and the President has already burned two cards that could be used to identify them later on.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2009, 12:22:31 AM
I'll need to mull this over.

Like I said - I'm a loyal human.  I don't think I'm required to blindly follow the orders of Admiral Adama however - the great thing about not being a machine is the capacity of free will.  And unfortunately I'm heading to bed (and besides, we don't know where we've wound up yet).

The fact that Admiral Adama and Starbuck feel that Gaius Baltar is a traitor to our race weighs heavily on me however...
OK
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on June 29, 2009, 01:38:30 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2009, 01:11:18 AM
LOL, that was the most tortured confession EVER.

Brig him.
Wow.  Awful.  I expected better.  :(

Well, that's what I did. Sorry if it doesn't sound very reasonable - in retrospect, perhaps it wasn't since I can see how my plan has actually gone awry. But would I come up with this story if it wasn't true? Surely I could have come up with some better excuse or try to shift blame, if I was just trying to lie my way out of it.

Martinus

Ok, now that I had my morning coffee, let me provide a clearer explanation of my motives.

What would be the worst case scenario with this crisis? The crisis failing AND Admiral Adama being a Cylon without us being able to realize that. So my usage of a (low value) negative card served a marker to increase our chances of finding out Adama is a Cylon, even if the check failed.

How? Let me explain.

Assume Admiral Adama is a Cylon. He knows Mme President will want to check his loyalty if she succeeds with the roll. Now, if he is a Cylon, it would be extremely unlikely there is another Cylon on board, so he thinks that chances are Mme President is not a Cylon. Thus he would have surely tried to sabotage the outcome. However, there's a rub:

- If I do not play any cards, he won't do this, because if there is an attempt at sabotage, it would need to be him. Ergo: not gonna do this (and notice that I was the only person capable of this charade, i.e. having cards that could both help or hinder the outcome - other than Adama - everybody else had either only helpful cards or only negative ones - thus it had to be me who would put this marker in).

- If I do play a card, he suspects I am not a Cylon (see above - two Cylons at this time is extremely unlikely) so he thinks I would not play a card to sabotage it. Thus he feels free to sabotage the roll, thinking that even if both random cards are negative, he can still pin the card he put in on me - and people would believe him rather than me.

- However, if I do play a negative card (but since I am not a Cylon, he does not suspect I would) this may lead him to reveal himself - because if the roll failed but we uncovered the cards and there were four negative cards, we would know for sure that he played at least one of them (and if only three negative cards were there, then people would more likely blame me not him). Ergo, we would be certain he is a Cylon even though we failed to check him with the event.

Again, please realize that the purpose of this charade on my behalf wasn't for me to find out whether he is a Cylon or not - but it was for everybody to find out that. That is why I needed to put in a negative card - because otherwise it would be his word against mine, and while I would of course keep saying he is the Cylon, would you believe me - or him?

Now, since my suspicions about him turned out to be unfounded and the check passed (again notice: by playing my "marker" card of a low value, I did not really sabotage the outcome that much - but if he played a stronger card and succeeded in the sabotage, this would be useful knowledge), this does leave me in a relatively difficult position - since it is indeed difficult for you all to believe I am telling the truth - but that's how I was reasoning.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Well, if you want to, go ahead and brig me. I will continue to help as far as I can (one card per skill check max) but surely you realize that can be not enough, especially if we run into heavy Engineering crisis. I won't be fighting against the accusations because there is little point wasting valuable resources on internal human squabbles, while we face the Cylons and the hostile elements. :(

Barrister

Gaius Baltar has confessed to deliberately sabotaging the efforts of Galactica's crew.  Cylon or not, that's grounds enough for me to brig him.

Mr. Baltar if you would be so kind as to follow me...

(sorry, might be an hour or so before I get cards figured out to do it though)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2009, 09:51:28 AM
Mr. Baltar if you would be so kind as to follow me...

OOC: LOL, you haven't ever watched the show, have you BB. :P

The idea of Saul Tigh ever saying "if you would be so kind..." to a toaster...

0 rows returned

Berkut

Although, on the other hand, he was probably polite to the 6 when he was banging her in the brig.

So maybe that is his plan with the good "Dr"...

0 rows returned

Martinus

OOC: I have only watched the pilot (aka "miniseries") so far. Would you say I am roleplaying Baltar well? :P

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 10:00:20 AM
OOC: I have only watched the pilot (aka "miniseries") so far. Would you say I am roleplaying Baltar well? :P

I think you are roleplaying Martinus pretty well, and that just so happens to coincide with Baltar...:P

0 rows returned

ehrie

Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2009, 10:03:43 AM

I think you are roleplaying Martinus pretty well, and that just so happens to coincide with Baltar...:P

:face:

Tamas

Martinus

Quote from: ehrie on June 29, 2009, 10:10:31 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2009, 10:03:43 AM

:face:

That's alright. After watching the pilot, Baltar is my favourite character. Everybody else is too stuck up. :P