California only has about one year’s supply of water left

Started by jimmy olsen, March 18, 2015, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: dps on May 16, 2015, 06:00:30 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 02:53:06 PM
An Earth that we expect or wish to support a middle class existence for all.

Being able to eat thick, juicy steaks is a fundamental part of a decent middle class existence.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 16, 2015, 03:17:02 PM
How about "an Earth that can maintain our current technological civilization where your well-honed tertiary economy skills aren't useless"?  Does that motivate you?

No. It seems unlikely that Earth will suddenly fail to maintain that in my lifetime.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Due to the low snow pack Washington State has declared a drought emergency in order to try to save water for the crops grown in that State over what is predicted to be a long hot summer.  That's right, the rainy State is going to experience a drought this year.

One knock on effect is that with lower amounts of snow melt there will be less hydro electricity generated and so more electricity will have to be generated by burning fossil fuels - mainly natural gas.

MadImmortalMan

I went up to Stampede Reservoir today doing some off-roading. No pics, I forgot my phone this time.  :glare:

Anyway, the water level was about 50 feet down from normal. I took the freeway home, so I passed Boca as well. That was so low the boat launches at the campgrounds were two hundred yards from the water. And it wasn't even a single lake anymore. It was a series of puddles with tire tracks across what used to be the lake bed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

We went around the June Lake Loop yesterday, and when we got to Grant Lake it was...

...not really a lake anymore. Nothing but a small stream running through what used to be the lakebed. Which...

...Yes, of course I did that.

Oh, and the red stuff?

Creep Cluster! Good for potions to increase your carry weight among other things.

Caliga

I was in LA a few weeks back and it seemed the same as usual.  No plants looked dead, there were no water restrictions posted anyplace that I saw, and from the air all of the reservoirs (Irvine Lake, Lake Elsinore, etc.) looked full. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

The eastern side of the Sierra is always going to be worse off. If you don't know the history between the Owens River Basin and Los Angeles, you should check that out. I'm not saying it's not worth the tradeoff, but there is one. A big opportunity cost.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Isn't Grant Lake an artificial construction that was part of LA stealing all the water?

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on October 27, 2015, 08:50:58 PM
I was in LA a few weeks back and it seemed the same as usual.  No plants looked dead, there were no water restrictions posted anyplace that I saw, and from the air all of the reservoirs (Irvine Lake, Lake Elsinore, etc.) looked full. :hmm:

Well there are statewide restrictions on water usage.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

The bad news is it's all going to fall in one square foot.

Siege

If the environazis stopped blocking the use of water soirces to protect the fish, they would all have water.

I say charge per gallon of water and let the chips fall where they will.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"