Oregon governor signs sweeping automatic voter registration into law

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2015, 01:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

At any rate, what's the issue even if it was as DSB says. Johnny will get a postcard on how to opt out of registering to vote in Oregon - though if he is putting that Oregon is his state of residence, should he really be voting in NJ anyway?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 09:46:39 AM
The most exciting part is the additional fodder the Republicans are giving us for concluding that they are a bunch of racist assholes.

Trying to get back on Seedy's good side?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2015, 09:51:12 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 09:46:39 AM
The most exciting part is the additional fodder the Republicans are giving us for concluding that they are a bunch of racist assholes.

Trying to get back on Seedy's good side?

I don't think he has one...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

I assumed I was on his good side when he bough and expensed my dinner. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Racist might be a little extreme, a better way to put it would be "anti-democracy assholes without an even token respect for any kind of principles beyond partisanship".

0 rows returned

derspiess

Glad you've settled down and are speaking in more reasonable terms :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 10:13:22 AM
Glad you've settled down and are speaking in more reasonable terms :D

Well, to be fair, THIS particular law and opposition to it is not necessarily racist, but Republican consistent opposition to laws that would allow more minorities to vote isn't directly racist, but it is certainly racist lite, in that they are perfectly happy trying to setup the system so that minorities are less likely to vote. That isn't racism per se, but it is probably a distinction without much of a difference.

The entire thing is a fine example of how so few people, AGAIN, give a shit about actual liberty or any kind of principles beyond partisanship. You cannot possibly argue that you have principles that enshrine liberty, freedom,  and democracy, but you also support laws intended to keep people you fear won't vote your way from voting.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 10:19:00 AM
Well, to be fair, THIS particular law and opposition to it is not necessarily racist, but Republican consistent opposition to laws that would allow more minorities to vote isn't directly racist, but it is certainly racist lite, in that they are perfectly happy trying to setup the system so that minorities are less likely to vote. That isn't racism per se, but it is probably a distinction without much of a difference.

The entire thing is a fine example of how so few people, AGAIN, give a shit about actual liberty or any kind of principles beyond partisanship. You cannot possibly argue that you have principles that enshrine liberty, freedom,  and democracy, but you also support laws intended to keep people you fear won't vote your way from voting.

And you've become Seedy-lite. 

Assuming you're making reference to Voter ID laws, is it inherently racist to support such laws?  Can one just think maybe it's a good idea to establish more rigid identification requirements for someone to vote? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 10:52:10 AM

Eh he feels particularly strongly on this issue.

But this is hilarious since Seedy denounced him recently for his racist views.

QuoteAssuming you're making reference to Voter ID laws, is it inherently racist to support such laws?  Can one just think maybe it's a good idea to establish more rigid identification requirements for someone to vote?

No it is not inherently racist. It just happens that the reason the laws are going in is because somebody thinks it is a good political strategy, not out of some belief in prevention of voter fraud. Those dead people in Chicago need to be heard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2015, 10:58:20 AM
Eh he feels particularly strongly on this issue.

But this is hilarious since Seedy denounced him recently for his racist views.

Seedy influences through intimidation.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 11:03:32 AM

Meh Berkut was saying this in the exact same way when we originally had this discussion way back in....whenever it was the voter ID laws went into effect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on March 17, 2015, 11:04:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 11:03:32 AM

Meh Berkut was saying this in the exact same way when we originally had this discussion way back in....whenever it was the voter ID laws went into effect.

I think there's a big difference between a voter ID law that's passed at a time well away from a major election, and one on the eve of the presidential election.  If there's plenty of time for people to get the documentation/registration done to the new requirements then that's a better situation than saying "oops, sorry, just passed a law, you can't vote even though you could before".

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on March 17, 2015, 11:09:13 AM
I think there's a big difference between a voter ID law that's passed at a time well away from a major election, and one on the eve of the presidential election.  If there's plenty of time for people to get the documentation/registration done to the new requirements then that's a better situation than saying "oops, sorry, just passed a law, you can't vote even though you could before".

That's fair.

LaCroix

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 17, 2015, 10:52:10 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2015, 10:19:00 AM

Assuming you're making reference to Voter ID laws, is it inherently racist to support such laws?  Can one just think maybe it's a good idea to establish more rigid identification requirements for someone to vote? 

In theory, of course. Sure, one could support all kinds of laws for all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons.

In practicality, when it is pointed out that in fact there is no actual problem "more rigid identification" needs to address, and the actual practical effect is to simply keep black people from voting so much, then no, I don't accept that there is a legitimate reason to support such laws - at least not once the actual facts become clear.

One could, in theory, support laws that demand that people be able to read, and that isn't racist. In theory.

Once someone points out that the reality is that Jim Crow laws are only used to deny black people the right to vote, and in fact that is the entire intent of the law, and then someone still insists on supporting said laws, even if they claim that there reasons are not about race but about the "theory" behind the law...I don't accept their claim anymore, since they are clearly just using the "theory" to justify the practical - racist - effect.

0 rows returned