Oregon governor signs sweeping automatic voter registration into law

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2015, 01:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on March 18, 2015, 03:18:28 PM

Even if it is not racist in effect, it is still completely despicable to try to deny anyone the opportunity to vote based on your evaluation of their likelihood to vote for your party. It is anti-democratic, which is just as bad as being racist, as far as I am concerned.

That could be, but you pulled out the word racist, in Oregon of all places.

Racist may equal anti democratic to you in terms of badness, but that isn't generally the case. A racist is effectively unemployable. People don't associate with known racists. On the other hand, people like Ide are communist and still are seen as decent people (if a bit quirky).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2015, 04:16:11 PM
A racist is effectively unemployable. People don't associate with known racists.

I suspect they mostly just learn to keep their mouth shut at work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2015, 02:47:00 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 17, 2015, 02:26:59 AM
I don't want to register as a voter.  I don't understand why there is a need to force me to register.  It is not like I will vote even if I am registered. 
are there elections in Hong-Kong?  I mean, free, multi-party elections where a vote would theoritically matter?

There are.  Half the seats in the legislature are elected, western style.  Most of the seats at the district level are also elected, though admittedly they don't have much power. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on March 18, 2015, 07:50:51 PM
I don't want to register as a voter.  I don't understand why there is a need to force me to register.  It is not like I will vote even if I am registered. 
are there elections in Hong-Kong?  I mean, free, multi-party elections where a vote would theoritically matter?

There are.  Half the seats in the legislature are elected, western style.  Most of the seats at the district level are also elected, though admittedly they don't have much power. 
and why are you not interested in voting then?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2015, 07:52:10 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 18, 2015, 07:50:51 PM

and why are you not interested in voting then?

The silent majority must remain silent.