Main Menu

Watches

Started by mongers, March 10, 2015, 02:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2015, 03:21:01 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 10, 2015, 03:10:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2015, 03:07:10 PM
I would say something but it would just be marginalized by Generation Assburger and the rest of Languish for being old/out of touch/whatever.  So fuck all of you, you can all bounce off the hood of a Buick in a crosswalk for all I fucking care.

So you wear a watch? Is it a Hello Kitty one?

I can pull a garrotte out of the crown and choke the shit out of smartasses.

Ahh, like a James Bond kind of watch?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadBurgerMaker

^^James Bond gets lasers.  It's James Bond badguys who have garrottes ^^

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2015, 02:36:16 PM
So do you still use one, what do you look for in a watch?

Yeah, I have a few.  There's nothing I really specifically look for in one, just that I like it. 

The Brain

I wear a nice watch. Very comfortable, titanium.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I also have a titanium watch. Solar powered, radio controlled. Because I'm lazy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2015, 03:11:26 PM
OK I need a watch that is always illuminated at night, so I can see the time, ideally digital, without having to use my other hand.

The watch must also have a cloth or fabric strap, be genuinely water proof and ideally have a stopwatch and alarm in addition to date display option.

Does anyone know if such a watch exists, because I can't find a digital one that matches that spec.  <_<

That sounds awful. You want something classy. Preferably from the 60s.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

My parents bought me a fancy watch for christmas.
I can't bring myself to wear it often. When I was a kid I used to wear a watch all the time. Now though...hard to see the point.
Even when I do wear it I usually just look at my phone
██████
██████
██████

Syt

OK I need a watch that is always illuminated at night, so I can see the time, ideally digital, without having to use my other hand.

The watch must also have a cloth or fabric strap, be genuinely water proof and ideally have a stopwatch and alarm in addition to date display option.

Does anyone know if such a watch exists, because I can't find a digital one that matches that spec.  <_<

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/223768739/knight-rider-steering-wheel-retro?ref=related-0

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 10, 2015, 03:47:20 PM

That sounds awful. You want something classy. Preferably from the 60s.

Something that I can use at night out on the moors/downs/hills and likely mud covered or in pouring rain?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Never took to wearing a watch.  Can't stand things like jewelry.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2015, 03:55:52 PM
Something that I can use at night out on the moors/downs/hills and likely mud covered or in pouring rain?

At this point, an outdoor smartphone that you strap to your forearm might be the easier route.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

I don't like the idea of a watch I would have to wind or plug in every day or so.  I've been wearing the same Swiss Army watch for about 15 years now. 

I have a small collection of those clunky modern watches my wife has tried to get me to wear.  I wear them once just to please her and then they get buried in a drawer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I want an Apple Watch.

I'd totally buy the $350 version, but I wouldn't want the cheap plastic strap around me wrist.

But I balk at paying $1000 for the nice metal strap.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Oh I think I've found one, but it's military kit, so there's no way I'd wear one, as civilians wearing military spec. equipment often seem, well, meh.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2015, 04:18:11 PM
I want an Apple Watch.

I'd totally buy the $350 version, but I wouldn't want the cheap plastic strap around me wrist.

Those bracelets look horrific. 

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 10, 2015, 04:24:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2015, 04:18:11 PM
I want an Apple Watch.

Those bracelets look horrific.

Which ones?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.