News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brewers' help requested

Started by merithyn, October 21, 2013, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Gracias Meri. I don't have the honey yet. Looking around, it seems like it's an arm and a leg to ship that in bulk, so I was thinking of hitting up Costco or someplace to see if they had it. My choices might be limited because of that. I imagine using different types can significantly affect the flavor, but since this is my first run I don't know what that will be. I suppose I'll just have to pick what I can find and experiment. I have enough equipment to give it another go after I rack the first batch, so I'll probably play around with it a bit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

MiM, when I did blackberry mead I too used EC-1118 and I did 20 pounds of honey.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2014, 05:55:25 AM
MiM, when I did blackberry mead I too used EC-1118 and I did 20 pounds of honey.

What did it taste like? I don't want to go too far down the honeybrick road if you know what I mean. I like it a bit...drier.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on August 20, 2014, 05:55:25 AM

What kind of blackberry flavoring did you use? I forget if it was a flavoring or the actual berries.

If it was the berries, remember that that's added sugar.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Berries.  I added them after the sugar was mostly fermented out.  It didn't seem to start up a secondary ferment, maybe due to the already high alcohol content.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Probably. Did you have much honey flavor in that?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I have a caramel stout that needs to be bottled. :)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I got 25lbs of clover honey and got it rolling. My trusty huge stock pot barely held all that plus less than an equal amount of water. My hydrometer was literally bobbing around on the surface. So I cooked up some water and put enough in there to get it to 1.14, which the calculator says should get me through with the yeast I have. There is about six gallons of liquid now.

I wanted to do a baseline sort of brew, but I did add a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Maybe I ruined it. We'll see.

Now, the container is sitting on the kitchen floor with a valve full of vodka in it.

merithyn

Sounds reasonable enough to me. :)

MadImmortalMan

Okay, so I put this stuff in the thing at the beginning of the month. I have been watching the valve. It sped up over time and was putting out about ten glugs per minute of air bubbles. Now it's down to four or so. Is that ok? I suspect I'll want to rack it at the end of September, but if it's not done maybe I should inject more yeast. I'm not sure. I guess a hydrometer check might tell me for certain, but I don't want to upset it yet.

MadImmortalMan

Bumpity.

I still have this damn stalled batch of must here, and the hydro readings have only decreased from 1.14 to 1.10. Since October.

I've tried re-pitching, adding some cut up oranges and blackberries and also re-pitching with rehydrated yeast that the packet says to do at 40C. That's over 100 degrees! This thing has been sitting in the mid 60s Fahrenheit and I thought that wasn't a problem. But maybe it is. PH meter reads 5.54. Should I quit it and start over? It tastes fine...but sweet like candy. Personally, I hate it. But someone might like it.