News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brewers' help requested

Started by merithyn, October 21, 2013, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Two questions:

1) I started a 5-gallon batch of Vienna Lager last night. This morning, there are zero bubbles in the airlock. Can I just pitch another packet of yeast into the pail? Is there another option?

2) I have yet to make a decent batch of hard cider. It doesn't seem that hard (pitch yeast into room-temp cider, add airlock, rack in two weeks, bottle in four), and yet... it's hasn't gone that well for me so far. What am I missing?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

You need to speak to the apples in a gentle West Country accent as you butcher them.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

I don't know anything about cider, but for #1 I'd let it go another day.  Maybe give your fermenter a good shaking to "wake up" the yeast.

But I have to ask-- are you using actual lager yeast?  If so, do you have your fermenter in a refrigerator or somewhere else where the temperature is steadily in the 45-55F degree range?  Lager yeast needs colder temps to ferment.  If you're using ale yeast, it should ferment fine at room temperature.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2013, 09:30:11 AM
I don't know anything about cider, but for #1 I'd let it go another day.  Maybe give your fermenter a good shaking to "wake up" the yeast.

But I have to ask-- are you using actual lager yeast?  If so, do you have your fermenter in a refrigerator or somewhere else where the temperature is steadily in the 45-55F degree range?  Lager yeast needs colder temps to ferment.  If you're using ale yeast, it should ferment fine at room temperature.

Yeah, it's lager yeast, and it did say that it needs to be cold. I managed to get it down to 70F to pitch the yeast, and I think that's where it's still at. I don't have a dedicated fridge for it. I suppose I can set it outside for the next two weeks. It's in an air-tight, sealed pail, so I imagine it will be fine.

Or... I can peruse Craig's List for a small, apartment fridge. :hmm:

Caliga

I've never brewed a lager but IIRC lager yeasts are a lot less vigorous than ale yeasts, so it makes sense that you might not see any activity yet.

Alos, what about your hard cider do you think makes it not decent?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

I was lucky the one time I did a lager (way back when I was in college) that my parents' garage that winter stayed right at 50F almost all the time.

I'd recommend trying to find a small fridge-- the outdoors method may not give you perfect results.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2013, 10:03:19 AM
I've never brewed a lager but IIRC lager yeasts are a lot less vigorous than ale yeasts, so it makes sense that you might not see any activity yet.

Dunno. It just tastes ... off. Watery, sour... off.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2013, 10:07:19 AM
I was lucky the one time I did a lager (way back when I was in college) that my parents' garage that winter stayed right at 50F almost all the time.

I'd recommend trying to find a small fridge-- the outdoors method may not give you perfect results.

Already on it. :cool:

http://chambana.craigslist.org/app/4140379421.html

CountDeMoney

Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were unavailable for this thread.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 10:09:03 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2013, 10:03:19 AM

I had some success using 'champagne yeast', is some what vigorous whilst fermenting.

Are you just using apple juice, if so is it only made from concentrates ? 

Last time I made it I put in a few mashed apples with pure apple juice. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 10:09:03 AM
:hmm: Do you want it to taste like commercial hard cider?  I'm asking because I think most of that stuff is sweetened and/or has apple juice added post-brewing.

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2013, 10:15:33 AM
I had some success using 'champagne yeast', is some what vigorous whilst fermenting.

Are you just using apple juice, if so is it only made from concentrates ? 

Last time I made it I put in a few mashed apples with pure apple juice.
I have made hard cider, and it was so long ago I only vaguely remember the process, but I think I used champagne yeast as well.  I know I've used Lalvin EC-1118 for something. :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2013, 10:18:05 AM
I know I've used Lalvin EC-1118 for something. :hmm:

Did you tow it to Earth orbit and mine it? :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.