News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Brewers' help requested

Started by merithyn, October 21, 2013, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Thanks, Sheilbh! :)

After doing a bit of research on a bunch of brewing forums I've concluded that the following will bring the best results:

* Use about a softball-sized pile of zest for a 5-gallon batch (around five large oranges)
* Add it as soon as you turn the heat off the wort, then cool the wort as quickly as possible. Once cool, strain the zest out.
* Don't shred the zest. Instead, julienne it.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 09:01:28 PM
:o I'd also julienne for a stew.
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Meri, send me some of that so I can verify if it is good or not.

Address:

PDH
Laramie, Wyoming
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2013, 09:05:12 PM
:o I'd also julienne for a stew.

Apparently, brewing beer with orange is a lot like making stew with it. :hug: :D

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on October 21, 2013, 09:14:15 PM
Meri, send me some of that so I can verify if it is good or not.

Address:

PDH
Laramie, Wyoming

K

derspiess

Thanks, Sheilbh! :)

After doing a bit of research on a bunch of brewing forums I've concluded that the following will bring the best results:

* Use about a softball-sized pile of zest for a 5-gallon batch (around five large oranges)
* Add it as soon as you turn the heat off the wort, then cool the wort as quickly as possible. Once cool, strain the zest out.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Second point is always a good idea. A heat exchanger is a worthwhile investment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Could you use an ice bath? (As I would with any green veg accompanying said stew :P)
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2013, 09:40:37 PM
Second point is always a good idea. A heat exchanger is a worthwhile investment.

I have access to a copper wort chiller, but they make me nervous. They're so hard to get completely clean. :ph34r:

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2013, 09:44:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2013, 09:40:37 PM

I have access to a copper wort chiller, but they make me nervous. They're so hard to get completely clean. :ph34r:

True, and that's where you have the most exposure to potential bacteria & whatnot.  But they also save time, and time is a factor in that as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

The homemade ginger beer is fantastic! Perfect amount of fizz, great flavor, refreshing, and tasty!

Gonna' have to make some to bring home for Thanksgiving. Not that they'll appreciate it.  :rolleyes:

MadImmortalMan

Eh, so I have all the stuff and I'm going to try making some mead.

I figure that's an easy way in and hard to screw up, but hey I can always find a way.

I've got some EC-118, a 6 gallon brew pail and some carboys and several s-shaped airlocks, which I will fill with vodka. Just to keep anything from getting gummy or smelly.

Since you people did this before, I should ask. About what percentage of total volume should be honey? I've seen on youtube anywhere from 1/5 to 1/3, and that's a big difference. I think I'll forego any fruit on round one. But I still want to get a nice high measure on the hydrometer. I want to push the yeast's tolerance if possible. Do I do that by adding sugars or yeast? I don't want to make it too sweet in the end. As little as I can, really. What should I aim for on the hydrometer at the start, and should I intervene at any point in the fermentation?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 19, 2014, 07:33:33 AM
Eh, so I have all the stuff and I'm going to try making some mead.

I figure that's an easy way in and hard to screw up, but hey I can always find a way.

I've got some EC-118, a 6 gallon brew pail and some carboys and several s-shaped airlocks, which I will fill with vodka. Just to keep anything from getting gummy or smelly.

Since you people did this before, I should ask. About what percentage of total volume should be honey? I've seen on youtube anywhere from 1/5 to 1/3, and that's a big difference. I think I'll forego any fruit on round one. But I still want to get a nice high measure on the hydrometer. I want to push the yeast's tolerance if possible. Do I do that by adding sugars or yeast? I don't want to make it too sweet in the end. As little as I can, really. What should I aim for on the hydrometer at the start, and should I intervene at any point in the fermentation?

I like medium-sweet meads with a high alcohol content. So, using EC-1118 in five gallons, I would go with 20-23 pounds of honey. That yeast will get you to around 18%, which means it will use a LOT of honey up. If you want a sweeter mead, up it to 25-28 pounds.

That yeast will also give you a "sparkling" effect, so make sure you cork the bottles well. Also, I've had to let it sit for a good long while before bottling it to make sure that it wasn't too volatile at the end. I think I racked it after a month, and then bottled it after another two months.

I never add additional sugars to my meads. The honey is plenty. That being said, I know quite a few people add "starters" to their meads to get their yeast going. You really won't need that with the yeast you're using. (I've used that yeast to restart a batch when it's gone cold too soon.) Also, you'll want to keep the bucket in a cool place. If it gets too warm (over 65 or 70F), the mead will take on a "scorched" flavor from the yeast being too volatile.

What kind of honey are you using? And are you planning to boil it?

EDIT: Looking over some of my old notes, I'd go with a higher honey content rather than a lower one unless you want your mead incredibly dry. No less than 23 pounds of honey, I'd guess. If you do want it very dry, then stick to 20 pounds.

merithyn

On the Hydrometer, I'd say you want it around 1.08 - 1.10 with that yeast for a drier mead. Also, make sure that your must is around 75F - 80F when you take the reading, or it will skew your results. (Don't pitch that yeast above 80F, either.)