News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sex Offender Registries

Started by ulmont, March 16, 2009, 09:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Another reason to be skeptical of these sorts of punishments...not only can you get on the list for consensual activity, you can get on the list without ever committing any sexual offense at all:

Quotethe law applies to anyone convicted of kidnapping or false imprisonment of a minor, regardless if a sexual act was committed.

At 17, Darnelle Harvey took part in the robbery of a Dairy Queen in Chamblee. Brandishing a gun, he ordered a 16-year-old to lie down as the holdup progressed. This got him a false imprisonment conviction, and because the victim was under 18, Harvey became a sex offender.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories//2009/03/15/sex_offender_law_georgia.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Martinus

Well, to be honest I am not concerned that much about someone guilty of armed robbery, as I am about people who commit consensual sex offenses with adults, such as public indecency (e.g. getting a blowjob in a public restroom).

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2009, 09:25:38 AM
Well, to be honest I am not concerned that much about someone guilty of armed robbery, as I am about people who commit consensual sex offenses with adults, such as public indecency (e.g. getting a blowjob in a public restroom).

Yeah if you've committed one crime, who cares if you get put down as committing other unrelated crimes?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2009, 09:28:43 AM

Yeah if you've committed one crime, who cares if you get put down as committing other unrelated crimes?

There is a reason to care. The more that people who are not actually sex predators get added to the list, the more diluted the ostensible purpose of the listing becomes.

If every mugger is on the list together with every 18 y.o. who slept with his or her 17 y.o. bf/gf, pretty soon no-one gives a shit about the fact of being on the list - it won't mean much of anything.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

If the list becomes so diluted it also becomes of no use whatsoever to parents trying to protect their children. Knowing that there is a convicted paedophile in the area is far more useful to them than generic information that.......OMG!!!.......there are criminals in the area.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on March 16, 2009, 09:38:36 AM
There is a reason to care. The more that people who are not actually sex predators get added to the list, the more diluted the ostensible purpose of the listing becomes.

If every mugger is on the list together with every 18 y.o. who slept with his or her 17 y.o. bf/gf, pretty soon no-one gives a shit about the fact of being on the list - it won't mean much of anything.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic but I hate the new roll eyes smiley. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2009, 09:50:12 AM
Sorry, I was being sarcastic but I hate the new roll eyes smiley. :(
The internet doesn't do sarcasm.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

It's Georgia.  What do you expect?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

That's a fucking lie and you know it.  You're only concerned with homosexuals, who aren't really 'people'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 16, 2009, 09:44:36 AM
If the list becomes so diluted it also becomes of no use whatsoever to parents trying to protect their children. Knowing that there is a convicted paedophile in the area is far more useful to them than generic information that.......OMG!!!.......there are criminals in the area.

Well, as best as I can tell, even most people convicted of actual sex crimes aren't pedophiles, so even an undiluted list of sex offenders isn't that useful.  Actually, I think that I'd rather have a list of people in my area who were convicted of robberies than those convicted of sex crimes.  Granted, I don't have children, so that attitude might change when we do, but even then, I think that I'll probably figure there are a bunch of pedophiles out there who haven't been caught yet anyway.

Razgovory

Think of it as a felony sex offense.  If you commit a felony while sex is going on you get hit with a sex offense charge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: dps on March 16, 2009, 10:23:32 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 16, 2009, 09:44:36 AM

Well, as best as I can tell, even most people convicted of actual sex crimes aren't pedophiles, so even an undiluted list of sex offenders isn't that useful.  Actually, I think that I'd rather have a list of people in my area who were convicted of robberies than those convicted of sex crimes.  Granted, I don't have children, so that attitude might change when we do, but even then, I think that I'll probably figure there are a bunch of pedophiles out there who haven't been caught yet anyway.
My sentiments exactly. The only people interested in sex offender lists are those too ugly to hook up via Manhunt.

Caliga

Did we really need another reason to conclude that the sex offender registry is BS and (IMO) unconstitutional?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

In America all you need is a citizen register. Oh shit, you don't even have that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2009, 12:09:40 PM
In America all you need is a citizen register. Oh shit, you don't even have that.
The US has it in several movies, though. :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!