News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sex Offender Registries

Started by ulmont, March 16, 2009, 09:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2009, 10:26:17 AM
Think of it as a felony sex offense.  If you commit a felony while sex is going on you get hit with a sex offense charge.

There wasn't any sex going on there though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2009, 05:42:31 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 16, 2009, 10:26:17 AM
Think of it as a felony sex offense.  If you commit a felony while sex is going on you get hit with a sex offense charge.

There wasn't any sex going on there though.

Somewhere, probably.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on March 16, 2009, 11:33:44 AM
Did we really need another reason to conclude that the sex offender registry is BS and (IMO) unconstitutional?

Why is it unconstitional.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I approve of these registries. They are hilarious, and I like knowing where the Tier III's are.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 08:23:57 AM
I approve of these registries. They are hilarious, and I like knowing where the Tier III's are.
Fair point. Does anybody give a shit about Tier Is? If you sneeze and it lands on a womans' tits, it could land you a Tier I. Also, sex offender notifications do give the conviction.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2009, 09:01:37 AM
Fair point. Does anybody give a shit about Tier Is? If you sneeze and it lands on a womans' tits, it could land you a Tier I. Also, sex offender notifications do give the conviction.

Hell, the dude I've buying my Chicken McNuggets from is likely a Tier I.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on March 17, 2009, 05:44:11 AM
Did we really need another reason to conclude that the sex offender registry is BS and (IMO) unconstitutional?

Why is it unconstitional.

IMO it fits the definition of "cruel and unusual punishment" to continually punish someone for the rest of their life (via difficulty getting a job, harassment by neighbors/law enforcement/public ridicule) once they've served their sentence.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

And when you get appointed to the USSC you're opinion will matter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2009, 10:56:26 AMAnd when you get appointed to the USSC you're opinion will matter.

:(

Barrister

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2009, 11:22:26 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2009, 11:15:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2009, 10:56:26 AMAnd when you get appointed to the USSC you're opinion will matter.

:face:

When *you* are on the Supreme Court, you can have a clerk take dictation and chew him or her out when stuff like that gets in your judgments.  ;D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I have trouble envisioning a scenario in which a Canadian barrister might find himself on the USSC. :-\

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on March 17, 2009, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2009, 11:22:26 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2009, 11:15:37 AM

:face:

When *you* are on the Supreme Court, you can have a clerk take dictation and chew him or her out when stuff like that gets in your judgments.  ;D

Since under the traditional regional allotment of SCC seats there are NO northern judges, plus combined with the facts of my unilingualism and good but not gold medalist LS grades make it very unlikely I'd ever make it to the SCC...

Caliga

I'm curious what your opinion on this issue actually is, Beeb... I imagine you are in favor of the registries, but I'd like to know the reasoning.

Strix

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2009, 09:01:37 AM

To be fair to those who created the system there is scientific research that justifies giving a shit about Tier I offenders. Most offenders don't wake up one morning thinking, "Ok, today is the day I become a serial rapist". There are various crimes and types of behavior that many sex offenders have in common that continually escalate until it becomes something serious. Using a very basic and simple example, the person caught peeping through a neighbors window can eventually become the person who enters through that very same window and rapes someone. Does every offender take that next step? Of course not. If he does though than people are complaining that law enforcement knew he was a peeper/stalker/creep and didn't do anything about it.

Well, the registry is da man doing something about it.

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher