It's Bibipalooza! Live, from Congress! One show only!

Started by CountDeMoney, March 03, 2015, 04:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2015, 05:29:24 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2015, 05:27:13 PM
McConnell did though. Can he keep it from coming to the floor?

47 is more than enough for a filibuster.

Treaties require a 2/3rds vote anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

True but an executive agreement - specifically referenced in the Cotton letter - requires no congressional approval at all.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 06:16:16 PM
Not that I know of.

Then help me understand the objectionable part of the Iran letter, if it's not a member of Congress communicating with a foreign government on a policy matter.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 06:19:34 PM
True but an executive agreement - specifically referenced in the Cotton letter - requires no congressional approval at all.

However Congress will have to approve any changes to the sanctions regime, or its repeal.

What is the law on when a treaty is required and when a memorandum of understanding will suffice?

And is it even possible to sign a treaty with a country one doesn't have relations with?

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2015, 06:05:41 PM

Right, and while the agreement can be overturned by the next admin, I think that if the UN also signs off on it then it becomes binding for the US. Something like that from what I heard discussed on news report. That all bypasses Congress which bothers me, as something as big as such an agreement I'd want more political support behind it, if it's a good deal as the admin is trying to say.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 12, 2015, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 06:16:16 PM
Not that I know of.

Then help me understand the objectionable part of the Iran letter, if it's not a member of Congress communicating with a foreign government on a policy matter.

?
It is a member of Congress communicating with a foreign government on a policy matter.  47 members.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 13, 2015, 09:02:02 AM
?
It is a member of Congress communicating with a foreign government on a policy matter.  47 members.

Which is the same thing Charlie Wilson did, but in that case it was not objectionable.  Or am I missing something?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 09:04:23 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 13, 2015, 09:02:02 AM
?

Which is the same thing Charlie Wilson did, but in that case it was not objectionable.  Or am I missing something?

Charlie Wilson wrote to the leader of Afghanistan telling him to not make a deal with the United States because he was actively trying to undermine it?  Man they left that part out of the movie.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 09:17:16 AM
Charlie Wilson wrote to the leader of Afghanistan telling him to not make a deal with the United States because he was actively trying to undermine it?  Man they left that part out of the movie.

We had a deal: you promised you would stop being a spaz once you passed your finals. :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 09:19:59 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 09:17:16 AM

We had a deal: you promised you would stop being a spaz once you passed your finals. :contract:

How was that spazy?  I honestly do not see the comparison.  Senators have been traveling around and visiting other countries and having a say in foreign policy for years.  That is their job.  But direct intervention like this into a negotiation seems a bit outside.  It is not exactly a group of Senators showing up at Yalta saying 'make no deal with this man Roosevelt!' but it is pretty obnoxious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 09:30:05 AM
How was that spazy?  I honestly do not see the comparison.  Senators have been traveling around and visiting other countries and having a say in foreign policy for years.  That is their job.  But direct intervention like this into a negotiation seems a bit outside.  It is not exactly a group of Senators showing up at Yalta saying 'make no deal with this man Roosevelt!' but it is pretty obnoxious.

It's spazzy because I have been asking exactly what it is that makes the letter objectionable, so instead of getting all snarky you could have just answered the question.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 09:39:57 AM
It's spazzy because I have been asking exactly what it is that makes the letter objectionable, so instead of getting all snarky you could have just answered the question.

I did answer the question.  Directly.  Ok so I used a little snark, my apologies.