News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Laptop recommendations

Started by Monoriu, February 27, 2015, 01:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Tablet don't need 256gb of storage, your streaming your content across the web.

Regarding the electricity....and you let that fly?!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 06, 2015, 10:49:00 PM
Tablet don't need 256gb of storage, your streaming your content across the web.

Regarding the electricity....and you let that fly?!

There are a lot of times when I need to do stuff offline.  When I am on a plane for example.  In fact that is when I need to watch anime most.

I am ok with her electricity rules.  Don't want to come back to see the flat burnt down.

Monoriu

Ok, I have finally taken the new Samsung laptop on a few trips.  My thoughts -

- I was right to pick the lighter and cheaper non-touch screen option.  I am happy with the way it is and have no need for a touch screen.

- the computer is not powerful enough for full screen 1080p, FLAC lossless sound anime files.  Can't even display some of the 1.5GB, 20 minute anime episodes properly.  I think it depends on how the file is compressed, because it plays some of the 5GB, 90 minute movies fine.  But it is quite far from the "play any video file without a hitch" ideal.  All 720p files play perfectly. 

- the wifi connection is superb. 

- windows 8 sucks.  This coming from a Microsoft fan. 

- the battery life isn't as great as advertised.  I heard all sorts of wildly optimistic numbers from the computer sales people, like 10+ hours.  In reality, I think it is closer to 5-6 hours of normal use. 

- USB connections are still essential.  2 USB slots are sufficient for my needs and there is room to spare, though I won't mind to have 3 slots.  I have heard horror stories about Apple only putting in one slot on their latest machines.  I think that's really unethical, trying to change the world around them into wireless mode. 

- the touch pad works fine without physical mouse buttons. 

- 256GB SSD is sufficient for now.