News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Laptop recommendations

Started by Monoriu, February 27, 2015, 01:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on March 02, 2015, 08:55:58 AM
Have you heard of USB hubs then? 1 port makes 4 very cheaply these days, of course if it's OCD that's the issue then it won't work.

Yeah I have a couple of these.

Monoriu

Ok, I tried once more to get the Toshiba so that I can have 3 USB connections instead of 2.  I called up Toshiba Hong Kong only to be told that another company does their notebooks.  It turns out that Kirabooks are indeed not sold in HK.  They only have the Protege Z30 model.  It is US$100 more expensive than the Samsung, has inferior screen resolution, and a slower CPU.  I am prepared to pay a bit more for one more USB connection, but I am not prepared to have a worse screen or slower CPU.  So Toshiba is out. 

Pretty much decided on the Samsung.  Only question now is if I want a touch screen or not.  I have never owned a touchscreen laptop, and it maybe worthwhile to try it out.  Maybe I'll like it.  On the other hand the non-touch screen version is cheaper and lighter, which is a big plus for me :hmm:

Monoriu

The more I think about it, the more I think the touchscreen is a bad idea.  The main purpose of the laptop is to watch anime.  I hate seeing dust on the screen.  If it is a touchscreen, there'll be tons of fingerprints on the screen all the time. 

Grey Fox

Not really but everytime you will clean the screen it either moves or pauses the file.

I have a touchscreen laptops, I don't think it's worth it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 03, 2015, 08:03:34 AM
Not really but everytime you will clean the screen it either moves or pauses the file.

I have a touchscreen laptops, I don't think it's worth it.

Samsung, no touchscreen then.  I think the laptop comes with Windows 8.  Should I try to get Windows 7 instead?  :unsure:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on March 03, 2015, 08:35:31 AM
Samsung, no touchscreen then.  I think the laptop comes with Windows 8.  Should I try to get Windows 7 instead?  :unsure:
nah.  Install the updates, than upgrade to WIndows 8.1 via the WIndows store, than install all the new updates, than install something like Start8 for 5$, or some other free utility that someone will recommend.  I think Classic Shell is well liked.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on March 02, 2015, 06:31:17 AM
I suck.  I have changed my mind again.  I can't find the Kirabook anywhere, and I don't want to order it online because I'll get English Windows which in my experience suck at displaying Chinese characters.  So I have turned to Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus.  i7 5500U CPU, 13.3 3200x1800 display, 8GB RAM, 2 USB connections (yikes), no LAN :weep:, 256GB SSD, 1.37kg.  Same price as the Kira at US$1,700. 

An alternative is a lighter version at 1.07kg and US$1,500, but no touchscreen.  I personally prefer the lighter and cheaper version, but the wife loves touchscreens. 

Went to Applestore yesterday and had a long chat with the staff.  Pretty much decided that I won't buy a Macbook Air at this point.  I probably don't really need the 512GB SSD in the next 3-4 years, and that, to me, is the major (and only) advantage of the Macbook Air. 
You can change the language in Windows, though I am unsure if it is free for asian languages.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Bought it.  US$1,450.  Got a hundred dollars off for paying cash. 

Grey Fox

and Mono pretends he's poor.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 06, 2015, 07:55:20 AM
and Mono pretends he's poor.

Mono buys a laptop every 3-4 years.  The rich gets a new toy every few months :contract:

Grey Fox

yet you spend 1500$ at the blink of an eye. I take loans that I repay over 2 years for anything over 1k.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 06, 2015, 08:26:05 AM
yet you spend 1500$ at the blink of an eye. I take loans that I repay over 2 years for anything over 1k.

You have a baby; I don't.  I only have one suit for work, and don't have a watch :bowler:

I have found that there is a high correlation between my happiness and the quality of my IT equipment, so that's where I'll concentrate my extremely limited resources.

Grey Fox

So is mine :(

I have 1 suit, I wear it to weddings & funerals.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 06, 2015, 09:04:47 AM
So is mine :(

I have 1 suit, I wear it to weddings & funerals.

I wear suits to work every day, yet I only have one :contract:

Grey Fox

Anyway, suits are important in your life, they are not in mine.

How's the laptop?