News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Laptop recommendations

Started by Monoriu, February 27, 2015, 01:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

One thing I am *very* concerned is that the new laptops don't seem to have physical mouse buttons anymore.  My laptop has a pad thing for moving the mouse cursor around, and two physical mouse buttons underneath.  From all the screenshots and youtube videos that I have seen so far, the new machines don't have the buttons anymore :blink:

viper37

Mono, take a look at the Toshiba pictures, the 3rd one.  You see a dark grey tracking area, and at the bottom a lighter grey small rectangular area with a small hole in the middle.  These are your mouse buttons.

I prefer the use of this, but you could still add a USB wireless mouse, one for laptopts, with a mini-adapter, if you can't get used to it.  It's plug and play, no worries.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Thanks for all the replies.  Currently thinking of three possibilities.

1. Macbook Air 13 inch.

Pros:
512 GB SSD  :wub::wub::wub:

Cons:
Mac OS  :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:  No way. Just no way.  Over my dead body.  Need to factor in cost and risk of installing windows.
Only 2 USB connections (one fewer than my current one)  :thumbsdown:
All the uncertainties associated with using a mac for the first time.  Do they even bother to have a right click function for users?  Even if I install windows to the machine, it maybe a pain every time I boot up the machine. 

2. Toshiba Kirabook

Pros:
2560x1440 display :wub:
It is a Toshiba.  My current Toshiba has served me well for the past 3-4 years.  :wub:
From reviews that I have read, there is a designated right click area.  I am a mouse person and I am too lazy to lift my left arm to use the keyboard, so good mouse controls are important :wub:
I think I see 3 USB connections.  Not 100% sure though  :wub:

Cons:
Don't seem to have an option to upgrade to 512 SSD :thumbsdown:
Don't know where to buy it.  The computer shops are reluctant to stock this laptop, so I may be forced to buy it online. :thumbsdown:

LG 14Z950

Pros:
980g :wub: :wub: :wub:  This is significantly lighter than most ultrabooks which weigh around 1.3kg.

Cons:
Not yet available.  Not a big deal as I can wait a few months.  I have seen youtube videos of the actual machine, so it is not vapourware.
Not much is known about the thing.
256GB only, I think.  :thumbsdown:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 28, 2015, 03:31:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies.  Currently thinking of three possibilities.

1. Macbook Air 13 inch.

Pros:
512 GB SSD  :wub::wub::wub:

Cons:
Mac OS  :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:  No way. Just no way.  Over my dead body.  Need to factor in cost and risk of installing windows.
Only 2 USB connections (one fewer than my current one)  :thumbsdown:
All the uncertainties associated with using a mac for the first time.  Do they even bother to have a right click function for users?  Even if I install windows to the machine, it maybe a pain every time I boot up the machine. 

I had similar apprehensions when I first got my Macbook Air several years ago.  There is definitely a bit of a learning curve, and in many ways I still find Windows to be superior in the GUI functionality (Windows 7, at least...screw 8).  For the actual tactile functionality (e.g. the touchpad), I far prefer the Mac.  Using the Mac touchpad makes a mouse unnecessary except for certain gaming situations.  And there is a "right-click", it just involves pushing down the pad with two fingers instead of one.

When I had Bootcamp on my iMac, you could have the setting to boot in Windows every time (to change that, you'd have to hit a certain key on startup...IIRC, in the same way as to when you want to get to your BIOS)

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 28, 2015, 11:35:53 AM

I had similar apprehensions when I first got my Macbook Air several years ago.  There is definitely a bit of a learning curve, and in many ways I still find Windows to be superior in the GUI functionality (Windows 7, at least...screw 8).  For the actual tactile functionality (e.g. the touchpad), I far prefer the Mac.  Using the Mac touchpad makes a mouse unnecessary except for certain gaming situations.  And there is a "right-click", it just involves pushing down the pad with two fingers instead of one.

When I had Bootcamp on my iMac, you could have the setting to boot in Windows every time (to change that, you'd have to hit a certain key on startup...IIRC, in the same way as to when you want to get to your BIOS)

My wife strongly recommends that I buy a Macbook Air.  Every time I use her iMac to do very simple stuff like copying a file, I curse my way through the nightmare.  But she is very happy with it. 

Monoriu

I think I have found what I need.  Fujitsu S935T03.  Intel i7 5500U, 13.3 inch monitor, 12GB RAM, 256SSD, 2560x1440 resolution, touch screen, 1.3kg, 3 USB 3.0 connections, 1 LAN built in connection (YES).  Already available in retail shops.  Only problem is that it has a removable DVD drive which I don't need.  If I remove it, it weighs 1.1kg, or so it claims.  Due to the DVD drive, it feels a little thick, certainly a lot thicker than a Macbook air.  But I don't really mind.  The weight is what really matters.  Quite expensive at US$2,350, but other than the DVD imperfection, it is precisely what I need. 

http://releaselaptop.com/fujitsu-lifebook-s935-specs-review/

The link above says there is a 512GB SSD option, but the shop where I found it says only 256 SSDs are available.  Need to check further on this. 

Monoriu

Now that I have cooled my head a little, I don't think the advantage of the Fujitsu S935 is that great over the Toshiba Kirabook to warrant such a price premium.  The Kirabook costs US$1,700, or US$650 less than the Fujitsu.  The advantages of the Fujitsu are a LAN connection, 4GB more RAM, 100-200g lighter when the DVD drive is removed, having a built-in removable DVD drive, and that I have found a retail shop that sells it.  The LAN is very nice, but I don't really use it that often, and the problem can be fixed with an external device.  4GB more RAM is nice, but I probably can't tell the difference with the applications that I will run (VLC player).  100-200g lighter is also nice, but I probably prefer the extra US$650 in my wallet.  I don't need the DVD drive. 

viper37

Weird that the Toshiba has no LAN.

4gb more ram won't show unless you are gaming in 64bit, that means recent games (2014+).  Still, you could aks the computer shop for extra ram.  VLC has a 64 bit version, but I doubt it uses the extra ram above 8 to show movies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on March 01, 2015, 02:34:24 PM
Weird that the Toshiba has no LAN.

4gb more ram won't show unless you are gaming in 64bit, that means recent games (2014+).  Still, you could aks the computer shop for extra ram.  VLC has a 64 bit version, but I doubt it uses the extra ram above 8 to show movies.

In my experience, most light weight machines (around 1.3kg) don't have LAN connections.  The heavy machines have them, but I don't want to carry them around during vacation.  LAN isn't really necessary in most big cities, but they are handy in the small towns and countryside, especially in Japan (that I think is why some Japanese made laptops tend to have LAN connections).  It is particularly useful to carry a LAN cable around, because the small inns and motels often think they can control who has access to the internet by witholding LAN cables. 

Monoriu

I suck.  I have changed my mind again.  I can't find the Kirabook anywhere, and I don't want to order it online because I'll get English Windows which in my experience suck at displaying Chinese characters.  So I have turned to Samsung Ativ Book 9 plus.  i7 5500U CPU, 13.3 3200x1800 display, 8GB RAM, 2 USB connections (yikes), no LAN :weep:, 256GB SSD, 1.37kg.  Same price as the Kira at US$1,700. 

An alternative is a lighter version at 1.07kg and US$1,500, but no touchscreen.  I personally prefer the lighter and cheaper version, but the wife loves touchscreens. 

Went to Applestore yesterday and had a long chat with the staff.  Pretty much decided that I won't buy a Macbook Air at this point.  I probably don't really need the 512GB SSD in the next 3-4 years, and that, to me, is the major (and only) advantage of the Macbook Air. 

Grey Fox

What are you plugging in all those usb ports?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 02, 2015, 08:12:54 AM

He's probably talking about a mouse, external keyboard?, speakers/headphones maybe?, printer, auxiliary for phones, tablets, etc.

All of those are now available wireless which is why the rest of the world has moved passed needing more than 1.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

One for the stereo system.  I also plug a USB flash drive to it to transfer files.  That's about it.  I actually really only need one USB connection, but I *like* to have spares, just because.  It is like having spare cash in the bank.  The more the better  :cool:

Monoriu

Quote from: Liep on March 02, 2015, 08:34:31 AM

He's probably talking about a mouse, external keyboard?, speakers/headphones maybe?, printer, auxiliary for phones, tablets, etc.

All of those are now available wireless which is why the rest of the world has moved passed needing more than 1.

Actually I use the built in keyboard and trackpad.  No need for external keyboard or mouse.  No printer, phone or tablet either.  I try to get 3 USB connections but 99.99% of the time they just sit there.  I like it that way. 

Liep

Have you heard of USB hubs then? 1 port makes 4 very cheaply these days, of course if it's OCD that's the issue then it won't work.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk