Ivan Massow: Gay men may not realise it, but they are Tory

Started by Martinus, February 24, 2015, 08:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 24, 2015, 10:58:06 AM
Pro-tip while the CDC might use that term, I don't think anyone uses that colloquially. That's just a closet case. :D

The gay podcast I listen to uses it regularly. :D

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 10:53:02 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2015, 10:50:34 AM
Gay men vote Tory but don't notice?

That seems to be how it works in Britain.  Somehow the Tories get lots of votes despite seemingly being hated by everybody.

UK elections are fundamentally ugly baby competitions.

Jacob

Of course, the battle for equality has mostly been won when it comes to homosexuality, so it makes sense that rich white (and lightly brown, in the case of garbon) gay men discard the interests of their erstwhile allies on that front and cash in now that they can be establishment.

Except, of course, if they have a social conscience; but I expect the frequency of that is not particularly related to sexual preference, absent social discrimination.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2015, 02:07:20 PM
Of course, the battle for equality has mostly been won when it comes to homosexuality, so it makes sense that rich white (and lightly brown, in the case of garbon) gay men discard the interests of their erstwhile allies on that front and cash in now that they can be establishment.

It is so sad leftwing people are never part of the establishment.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 02:09:11 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2015, 02:07:20 PM

It is so sad leftwing people are never part of the establishment.

It's all part of getting their slice of the pie, man.  Everybody sells out.   Even fags. 

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 24, 2015, 02:11:53 PM
It's all part of getting their slice of the pie, man.  Everybody sells out.   Even fags. 

Even sell outs can still do something for the little people!  Look at Obama, I am sure he has done something to help secret Muslims after his rise to power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 02:09:11 PMIt is so sad leftwing people are never part of the establishment.

I think the Tories are more establishment than Labour and Liberal Democrats, and certainly much more so than the various groups that did most of the agitating for gay rights and acceptance these last few decades.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2015, 02:36:48 PM
I think the Tories are more establishment than Labour and Liberal Democrats, and certainly much more so than the various groups that did most of the agitating for gay rights and acceptance these last few decades.

Well yeah they are in office.  And again...I don't know.  Gay Rights has long had support from many in the establishment at least personally.  For my part it was preached in schools and in the media long before I saw widespread public acceptance.  Presuming we are talking about these past few decades.  Heck it just got implemented top down in my state.

I don't think the establishment is quite as anti-social justice as you seem to think.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 02:45:19 PMWell yeah they are in office.  And again...I don't know.  Gay Rights has long had support from many in the establishment at least personally.  For my part it was preached in schools and in the media long before I saw widespread public acceptance.  Presuming we are talking about these past few decades.  Heck it just got implemented top down in my state.

I don't think the establishment is quite as anti-social justice as you seem to think.

I'm not following you, I'm afraid.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2015, 02:58:59 PM
I'm not following you, I'm afraid.

You said 'joining the establishment' as synonymous with abandoning your allies and joining the conservative party, which I disagree that those things are synonymous.  The conservatives are certainly not the establishment in BC so...color me confused.

Is that clear?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"