News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Best Movie Poll - Who *Should* Win

Started by Martinus, February 22, 2015, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which movie should get the 2015 Oscar for Best Movie?

American Sniper
5 (14.3%)
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
5 (14.3%)
Boyhood
4 (11.4%)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
15 (42.9%)
The Imitation Game
1 (2.9%)
Selma
2 (5.7%)
The Theory of Everything
0 (0%)
Whiplash
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

The Brain

Languish would get a lot of traffic if we were more in-your-face and not so damn polite.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2015, 11:26:57 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 24, 2015, 11:16:04 AM
I was under the impression Selma was not a good film.  Anybody seen it want to comment?  Should it have swept everything?

It hasn't come out in Spain yet. Will probably check it out when it does to see if all the fuss is warranted or not.

Why do spaniards hate Israel so much?

It cannot be love of muslims. You guys do have an immigration problem with moroccans, don't you?
And didn't you fight an 800 years war to free yourself from the muslims?
So it must be anti-semitism.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2015, 02:29:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2015, 02:25:32 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2015, 02:19:08 PMLOL I just saw that this was posted in earnest as "omg horrible racism" on Paradox OT.

Where do you think I found it?  :P But it was not posted seriously there either.

That famously retarded Communist wasn't serious? Broken clock I guess.

You still go to Paradox, you shameless traitor, after all they did to you?

lustindarkness

I still think Birdman will win it. I also heard Neil Patrick Harris will be host, that could work.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 24, 2015, 02:55:28 PM
I still think Birdman will win it. I also heard Neil Patrick Harris will be host, that could work.

I hear he's a house faggot now, though, betraying his fellow gays. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Theory: the number of terribly political statements on stage is in direct proportion to the embarrassment felt at how monochrome the nominees were.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2015, 03:37:11 PM
Theory: the number of terribly political statements on stage is in direct proportion to the embarrassment felt at how monochrome the nominees were.

I think that was the real source of Sean Penn's lame joke.  But what do I know?  Anyway if they feel so embarrassed about it they have an easy solution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

But that would mean confronting the shocking lack of diversity within cultural institutions. It's far easier to ignore it and assuage your conscience by supporting the right side politically <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2015, 03:40:40 PM
But that would mean confronting the shocking lack of diversity within cultural institutions. It's far easier to ignore it and assuage your conscience by supporting the right side politically <_<

It's easier still to ignore it and laugh till you pee at bleating from the Guardian.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2015, 03:49:55 PM

It's easier still to ignore it and laugh till you pee at bleating from the Guardian.

Incontinence, and at such an early age too.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Nothing shocking about Hollywood playing it safe.  That is what they do.  Cannot wait for Spiderman 17.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 24, 2015, 02:18:04 PM
Marty hijacks his own threads quite a bit. Though perhaps in his mind Oscars and bullying gay schoolkids both fall under "gay issues" and this isn't a hijack at all?  :hmm:

Err, I didn't hijack the thread.

Martinus

Maybe blacks are just bad at movies. They are good at sports - they can't be good at everything, right? :P