News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Best Movie Poll - Who *Should* Win

Started by Martinus, February 22, 2015, 09:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which movie should get the 2015 Oscar for Best Movie?

American Sniper
5 (14.3%)
Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
5 (14.3%)
Boyhood
4 (11.4%)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
15 (42.9%)
The Imitation Game
1 (2.9%)
Selma
2 (5.7%)
The Theory of Everything
0 (0%)
Whiplash
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Admiral Yi

Interesting that an Oscar nominee has already made it to cable.

celedhring

Glad that Arquette won it; her character and performance were the single most compelling thing in Boyhood.

I think the awards were allright; can't think of any egregious snub.

Martinus

I wish Cumberbatch won instead of Redmayne but this is mainly based on personal preference, as I haven't watched either movie yet.

All gaysphere is aflutter with the acceptance speech of the Imitation Game writer. :P

And of course POLSKA POLSKA POLSKA.

Ok, I still feel silly rooting for a movie based on nationality. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2015, 11:52:17 AM
Only movie on the list I've seen was Selma, which was really good so I'll vote for that. :)

Funnily, it's the only movie on the list that didn't win an Oscar for anything. :P

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2015, 06:23:34 AM

It was slightly sillier here where they were rooting for Ida because it had a Danish producer. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on February 23, 2015, 06:39:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2015, 06:23:34 AM

It was slightly sillier here where they were rooting for Ida because it had a Danish producer. :P
:lol:

That, and we beat Russians. :P

The Larch

Then again, the Russian movie is a cry against the creeping authoritarianism of the country and the crushing of the common man by the authorities, with its author being now denounced by Putin's ministers, so maybe it wouldn't have been a terrible thing if it won.

mongers

No Oscar for best posting of fripperies on Languish.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

So Birdman won.  Any thoughts?  I didn't see it.

I have heard people say NPH was painful to watch as a host.  He is kind of a dork off-script so I could see that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2015, 08:46:00 AM

Haven't seen it either, but it's winning fits perfectly in the Academy Awards winner hierarchy.

QuoteI have heard people say NPH was painful to watch as a host.  He is kind of a dork off-script so I could see that.

He didn't fuck up.  Best you could say.

Martinus

Liep

I have heard people say NPH was painful to watch as a host.  He is kind of a dork off-script so I could see that.

No real laughs, though I did chuckle at that balls joke. Bad timing though, as it came right after a story about a winner's son who committed suicide and the joke was on the expense of the winner's dress.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on February 23, 2015, 09:02:03 AM

No real laughs, though I did chuckle at that balls joke. Bad timing though, as it came right after a story about a winner's son who committed suicide and the joke was on the expense of the winner's dress.

:bleeding:

Liep

And the sudden halt in play off music when that Pole mentioned his dead wife was also funny.

Martinus

By the way, with BAFTA being hosted by Stephen Fry and Oscars by NPH, can we safely say film making industry proves once again that it is so conservative, only a married white man can host it?  :(