Home Schooled Girl Can't Prove She's an American – or Even Exists

Started by jimmy olsen, February 16, 2015, 03:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 16, 2015, 08:23:08 PM
Well, proving she exists isn't hard. I see no reason to question her version of events for the purposes of fitting her into society. There's no compelling reason to doubt them unless we suspect she's some kind of deep cover foreign operative or terrorist.

Yes, I think we should err on the generous side and let her get on with fulfilling her life's potential, something her parents seemed dead set against.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2015, 05:14:39 PM
In Ide's America, her entire life would be documented from the point of conception(which a skeevy technician probably has bookmarked for frequent reviewing).

It's custodes all the way down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Well, proving she exists isn't hard. I see no reason to question her version of events for the purposes of fitting her into society. There's no compelling reason to doubt them unless we suspect she's some kind of deep cover foreign operative or terrorist.

The legal system is capable of acting quickly.  It is also capable of acting with common sense.

But asking for both in the same case is pushing it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

I don't know if she's going to wind up as an American, but she's well on her way to becoming Mrs. Anger.

Ed Anger

Never trust a girl named Alicia. Or whatever bastardized version she has.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2015, 10:18:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 16, 2015, 05:14:39 PM
In Ide's America, her entire life would be documented from the point of conception(which a skeevy technician probably has bookmarked for frequent reviewing).

It's custodes all the way down.

Stop supporting the disappearing of people.  It'd gone into a hard drive.  Those files would now be retrieved by plaintiff's counsel, proving her citizenship and that her parents abused her.  Then they'd be shot for their crimes, which are, after all, incredibly severe.

Of course, in Ide's America, they'd probably have had her taken away from them like seventeen years ago, so such harsh punishments may well have been avoided.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Is it because she is white? What if she looked, say, Latino? What if 10,000 Latino children showed up in Texas, saying that they just escaped from a cult and were American citizens?

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 16, 2015, 10:59:48 PM
Never trust a girl named Alicia. Or whatever bastardized version she has.

Maybe she spent all those years in the Wenderland?  :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 01:27:34 AM

Is it because she is white? What if she looked, say, Latino? What if 10,000 Latino children showed up in Texas, saying that they just escaped from a cult and were American citizens?

Citizenship for all, obviously. It's a bit offensive that you would suggest otherwise.

Edit: ooh and some joke about Ed's south-of-the-border family.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Well, I agree, obviously.

I was just wondering if others (who advocate for her to be recognised as a citizen) would also answer affirmatively to my question. Otherwise, you end up encouraging the state to apply law unequally to similar cases, which is against any standards of a modern democratic state.

dps

The article says that she left her parents with the help of her grandparents.  Presumably, those grandparents should be able to testify as to her existence, and her status as an American.   I'm not exactly sure that would be enough, legally, but it's a start.

And I suspect that she needs to get into the Federal courts, and not fool around with the Texas courts.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on February 17, 2015, 07:37:00 AM
And I suspect that she needs to get into the Federal courts, and not fool around with the Texas courts.

Why do you figure?  Don't the Feds need a birth certificate?

QuoteIs it because she is white? What if she looked, say, Latino? What if 10,000 Latino children showed up in Texas, saying that they just escaped from a cult and were American citizens?

Well then we would murder them all systematically being the evil racists that we are. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 17, 2015, 03:36:27 AM
Well, I agree, obviously.

I was just wondering if others (who advocate for her to be recognised as a citizen) would also answer affirmatively to my question. Otherwise, you end up encouraging the state to apply law unequally to similar cases, which is against any standards of a modern democratic state.

Well I have no idea what she looks like so...

A cult that had over 10,000 children all pouring out as young adults at the same time would probably be 100,000 strong or more.  Pretty sure even we are smart enough to detect a cult that large.  Confirmation they were all born in the US could be easily ascertained.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.