Home Schooled Girl Can't Prove She's an American – or Even Exists

Started by jimmy olsen, February 16, 2015, 03:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on February 16, 2015, 06:57:31 PM
As she is technically a stateless person, I wonder if the UN can help her like they help other stateless persons (typically political refugees)? :hmm:

Maybe that world passport idea.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

I am confused.  Texas law is clear.  The parents are compelled by law to report the birth and if they refuse they are committing a crime.  Where the ambiguity coming from?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2015, 07:05:44 PM
I am confused.  Texas law is clear.  The parents are compelled by law to report the birth and if they refuse they are committing a crime.  Where the ambiguity coming from?

How does the DA prove they failed to report a birth?  :ph34r:

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 16, 2015, 07:07:08 PM

Well they have other children who have not run away.  Not sure though, maybe I should ask around when I go to work tomorrow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Capetan Mihali

Testimony from nurses/doctors and hospital staff that allows the hospital records of the mother entering the hospital on November __, 1995 and leaving on November __, 1995 with a female child.  Any later statements made by the parents about the fact that they didn't report the birth could also come in from other witnesses (e.g. the daughter) under the party-opponent hearsay exception.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 16, 2015, 07:17:22 PM

Testimony from nurses/doctors and hospital staff that allows the hospital records of the mother entering the hospital on November __, 1995 and leaving on November __, 1995 with a female child.  Any later statements made by the parents about the fact that they didn't report the birth could also come in from other witnesses (e.g. the daughter) under the party-opponent hearsay exception.
Pretty sure the girl was born at home.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 16, 2015, 07:18:22 PMPretty sure the girl was born at home.

I think he was just explaining what the legal process is, not suggesting she was born at a hospital.  Obviously the hospital would have reported the birth on its own if that was the case.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 16, 2015, 07:20:12 PM
I think he was just explaining what the legal process is, not suggesting she was born at a hospital.  Obviously the hospital would have reported the birth on its own if that was the case.

The lack of eyewitnesses is obviously a major impediment.

Ideologue

Iirc, a court can compel a DNA test for paternity issues.  I could be wrong about that.  Hope I'm not.  That wouldn't be my America, at all.

Of course, her problem is an administrative issue--a Health Department unwilling to render a birth certificate based on lack of documentation (and hence a zillion other agencies refusing to give her her papers as well).  I'm unsure whether an administrative court can compel a DNA test, or if that's even sufficient to show she was born in a certain county or state, though I suppose it would be likely as not and I believe that'd be the standard of proof used.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, one extralegal solution is to kill her evil parents and usurp her mother's identity.  She has an SSN.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 16, 2015, 07:53:04 PM
Iirc, a court can compel a DNA test for paternity issues.  I could be wrong about that.  Hope I'm not.  That wouldn't be my America, at all.

Of course, her problem is an administrative issue--a Health Department unwilling to render a birth certificate based on lack of documentation (and hence a zillion other agencies refusing to give her her papers as well).  I'm unsure whether an administrative court can compel a DNA test, or if that's even sufficient to show she was born in a certain county or state, though I suppose it would be likely as not and I believe that'd be the standard of proof used.
Does it matter where she was born? If her parents are American citizens, she is too.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I suppose it must matter to the Health Dept. issuing the birth certificate.
Kinemalogue

grumbler

It is an interesting case.  You'd think the courts could compel the parents to submit to a DNA test, but there are all kinds of weird laws and exceptions to laws, and she may fall into some kind of legal limbo because she's too old to be a ward of the court and too poor to afford a lawyer.  I'd think there would be a law school somewhere willing to take on her case just for the practice.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Well, proving she exists isn't hard. I see no reason to question her version of events for the purposes of fitting her into society. There's no compelling reason to doubt them unless we suspect she's some kind of deep cover foreign operative or terrorist.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers