Periods Of Your Country's History That You Don't Take Seriously?

Started by mongers, February 13, 2015, 07:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2015, 10:39:17 AM
August 2, 1879.  I just can't take that day seriously.   :mad:

It is the least serious day in history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 13, 2015, 10:37:52 AM
It is an incredibly embarrassing period, still not really talked about much. It seems the Dutch were collectively out of their minds for a few years.

Everybody was.  WWII was a period of insanity and it took awhile for everybody to recover from the trauma.

Which is what makes the immediate aftermath so forgettable.  Lots of crazy shit happened but since everybody was kind of crazy none of it really went anywhere or signaled long term trends.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 11:41:18 AM
Quote from: Maladict on February 13, 2015, 10:37:52 AM
It is an incredibly embarrassing period, still not really talked about much. It seems the Dutch were collectively out of their minds for a few years.

Everybody was.  WWII was a period of insanity and it took awhile for everybody to recover from the trauma.

Which is what makes the immediate aftermath so forgettable.  Lots of crazy shit happened but since everybody was kind of crazy none of it really went anywhere or signaled long term trends.

:yes: Electing the Haberdasher-in-Chief.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Valmy

derspiess

Brits like to pretend the War of Independence doesn't matter to them, even though you know it kills them inside that we whipped their Redcoat asses.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

:lol: You're so vain you probably think that historical period's about you.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2015, 11:58:21 AM
Brits like to pretend the War of Independence doesn't matter to them, even though you know it kills them inside that we whipped their Redcoat asses.

Howe let us win.  What a gentleman.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 11:58:36 AM

Well I couldn't help but notice the pattern :angry:

The Brain

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 11:59:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 13, 2015, 11:58:36 AM

Well I couldn't help but notice the pattern :angry:
Sure. The late Stuarts and Hannoverians are really very boring. The French Revolution's necessary to bring a change :w00t: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain