Periods Of Your Country's History That You Don't Take Seriously?

Started by mongers, February 13, 2015, 07:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 09:29:26 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2015, 09:26:06 AM
I tend to neglect 1865-1914 even though I shouldn't.

You neglect the time of Teddy Roosevelt?  But...it is so entertaining.

But yeah generally the combination of unpleasant and complicated, like Reconstruction, tends to mean it does not impact people much.

Civil War was such a rush, and the WWI period interests me greatly even before the US got involved.  I think my American History prof ruined me on that 50 year period because all he wanted to cover was farm issues.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 09:29:26 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 13, 2015, 09:26:06 AM
I tend to neglect 1865-1914 even though I shouldn't.

You neglect the time of Teddy Roosevelt?  But...it is so entertaining.

But yeah generally the combination of unpleasant and complicated, like Reconstruction, tends to mean it does not impact people much.

One would think the heydey of Jim Crow would be right up derweiß's alley.  MAH HOOD

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on February 13, 2015, 09:36:36 AM
1945-1950

Boy you are not kidding.  That really is a time people neglect.  A transition period where events are flying by and lots of messy stuff happens.  Then the Cold War really gets going and the world makes sense again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

The "Noble Republic" and for the same reasons you mention - it's just oversaturated by pop culture.

The years 1918-1939 also seem like something out of an operetta.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2015, 10:09:51 AM
The "Noble Republic" and for the same reasons you mention - it's just oversaturated by pop culture.

What are we talking about there?  The entire era from the death of the last Jagiello until the third Partition?  That is an incredibly long period of time to be saturated.  The winged hussars are the most oddly cool thing I have ever seen.  Strapping metal wings to the backs of your cavalry shouldn't be cool, it should be lame.  But for some reason it works.

QuoteThe years 1918-1939 also seem like something out of an operetta.

Definitely brings to mind the 'may you live in interesting times' not-Chinese curse.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

1814 - 2015.

I like to sometimes pretend to live in a world where Norway and all its riches are still ours. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Spanish history from the Napoleonic Wars until the Republic is one shit sandwich after another.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on February 13, 2015, 10:24:31 AM
Spanish history from the Napoleonic Wars until the Republic is one shit sandwich after another.

Was just going to write the same, but then at the end of the Republic we got the steamier shit sandwich of them all - although that one can hardly be considered to be taken unseriously.

Admiral Yi

Spain is poised to enter a Golden Age.

And my index fund with it.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
Spain is poised to enter a Golden Age.

And my index fund with it.

We are in a Golden Age. Even not taking into account technological progress, 1977- is the best period of all time to be a Spaniard. I'm pretty sure this is the longest non-violent period in all our history as a single country.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2015, 09:42:33 AM
Quote from: Maladict on February 13, 2015, 09:36:36 AM
1945-1950

Boy you are not kidding.  That really is a time people neglect.  A transition period where events are flying by and lots of messy stuff happens.  Then the Cold War really gets going and the world makes sense again.

It is an incredibly embarrassing period, still not really talked about much. It seems the Dutch were collectively out of their minds for a few years.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on February 13, 2015, 10:37:16 AM
We are in a Golden Age. Even not taking into account technological progress, 1977- is the best period of all time to be a Spaniard.

Even more Goldener then.

Barrister

August 2, 1879.  I just can't take that day seriously.   :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.