Sheilbh's Scott Walker Lovefest and Union Bashing Megathread

Started by Sheilbh, February 11, 2015, 02:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2015, 05:15:26 PM
This makes everyone who gives any money to the political campaign bad.  Everyone is expecting something, even if it's hope for change in policy.

It could indeed, if they donate so much to the point the politician is beholden to them and not the voters.  But, as I said in the very post you are quoting, it is not necessarily the donors who are bad it is the system that creates this state of affairs.  Not necessarily their fault for playing the game to the best benefit of their members.  It is complicated.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2015, 05:27:53 PM
This makes everyone who gives any money to the political campaign bad.  Everyone is expecting something, even if it's hope for change in policy.

It could indeed, if they donate so much to the point the politician is beholden to them and not the voters.  But, as I said in the very post you are quoting, it is not necessarily the donors who are bad it is the system that creates this state of affairs.  Not necessarily their fault for playing the game to the best benefit of their members.  It is complicated.

Even if we had the government fiance electoral campaigns,  Organizations will have more clout if they can command the votes of their members.  There is a false dichotomy in your thinking I believe.  Union members are voters.  So it's not a situation of, "Unions wins the public loses!".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2015, 05:27:53 PM

I'd argue that any donation is bad given that it does create at least the perception of special interests.  Now, whether that bad is worst than the bads needed to overcome that bad is the debate.  For instance, disclosure laws help ameliorate this bad, but have their own "bad" in terms of violations of privacy.  It's a balancing act, much to the frustration of those who see everything in terms of black and Raz.

In general, I think the bad elements of public-employee unions outweigh the good elements, but I don't think that that is true for all unions.  I've been in union jobs and non-union jobs, and can't honestly say that I've ever thought that the job I was in at the time should have been part of the other category.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

You are getting kind of weird here Grumbler.  You are mentioning me in like every third post.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2015, 08:15:12 PM
You are getting kind of weird here Grumbler.  You are mentioning me in like every third post.

You are making like every third post, so it isn't so weird.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014