Self-proclaimed atheist charged in slayings of North Carolina Muslim students

Started by garbon, February 11, 2015, 09:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/self-proclaimed-atheist-charged-in-slayings-of-north-carolina-muslim-students-204302578.html

QuoteThe middle-aged white man charged with fatally shooting three young Muslim students near the University of North Carolina is a self-proclaimed atheist whose Facebook page is full of rants.

"There's nothing complicated about it, and I have every right to insult a religion that goes out of its way to insult, to judge, and to condemn me as an inadequate human being — which your religion does with self-righteous gusto," the suspect, Craig Stephen Hicks, wrote on Facebook, without calling out any specific religious doctrine.

He added: "... the moment that your religion claims any kind of jurisdiction over my experience, you insult me on a level that you can't even begin to comprehend."

For now, Chapel Hill police say they are still investigating and have no evidence of a hate crime. Instead, they believe Tuesday's killings were sparked by a long-standing dispute over parking spaces at the condominium complex where Hicks and two of the three victims, Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, and his wife Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, 21, were neighbors. Abu-Salha's sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, was also slain.

But Dr. Mohammad Abu-Salha, the women's father, said Yusor told family members last week that she had "a hateful neighbor" who didn't like their religion and culture. According to the Raleigh News & Observer, Dr. Abu-Salha, a local psychiatrist, said police told him Hicks shot the three inside their apartment.
"It was execution style, a bullet in every head," the father told the newspaper Wednesday. "This was not a dispute over a parking space; this was a hate crime. This man had picked on my daughter and her husband a couple of times before, and he talked with them with his gun in his belt. And they were uncomfortable with him, but they did not know he would go this far."

Last month, Hicks, 46, posted a photo of a holstered gun sitting on a kitchen scale.

"Yes, that is 1 pound 5.1 ounces for my loaded 38 revolver, its holster, and five extra rounds in a speedloader," Hicks wrote with the photo.

Barakat and Yusor Abu-Salha, who were married Dec. 27, lived in the unit next door to Hicks and his wife. The father said his daughter wore a traditional wore a Muslim headscarf.

"Honest to God, she said, 'He hates us for what we are and how we look,'" Dr. Abu-Salha told the News & Observer.

On Wednesday afternoon, Karen Hicks told reporters that her husband didn't act out of bigotry.

"I can say that it is my absolute belief that this incident had nothing up do with religion or the victims' faith, but in fact was related to long-standing parking disputes my husband had with various neighbors regardless of their race, religion or creed," Karen Hicks said.

Imad Ahmad, 24, was Barakat's roommate for more than a year before the slain couple got married. He told the AP that Hicks would knock on their door about once a month to complain that they were parking in one of the spaces designated for visitors.

"He would come over to the door. Knock on the door and then have a gun on his hip, saying you guys need to not park here," said Ahmad, recalling that Hicks carried the handgun in a holster.

An attorney for Karen Hicks, Michele English, said Craig Hicks had a concealed-weapons permit.
In Facebook posts, Hicks' anti-religious views appeared to target all faiths. Two days before the shootings, he shared a post titled, "Why are radical Christians and radical Muslims so opposed to each others' influence when they agree about so many ideological issues?"

Hicks, a paralegal studies student at Durham County Technical College since 2012, also wrote on Facebook that he doesn't care for political parties, only constitutional rights.

"Some call me a gun-toting Liberal, others call me an open-minded Conservative," he posted.

His interests on Facebook seem to run the gamut from lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender causes to Second Amendment rights and sports humor. A day before the shooting, he shared a funny puppy video on his timeline.

"I don't fall into any category, as I do not follow any decision blindly for a group," Hicks wrote about himself.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a national civil rights organization, told Yahoo News that Hicks is not in its database of known extremists. According to his Facebook page, Hicks is a fan of the Alabama-based hate watchdog group.

According to public records, Hicks has no previous criminal history. On Wednesday, a judge ordered him held without bail on three counts of first-degree murder. A probable cause hearing is scheduled for March 4. Police say Hicks is cooperating with investigators.

Meanwhile, in a message to residents, the mayor of Chapel Hill tried to calm fears and reassure the community after the deaths.

"The Chapel Hill Police Department is using all available resources to determine whether hate was a motivating factor," Mark Kleinschmidt said in a statement. "All we know for certain at this time is that it was a senseless and tragic act surrounding a longstanding dispute.

"I share strong feelings of outrage and shock with my fellow citizens and University students — as well as concerned people everywhere. We do not know whether anti-Muslim bias played a role in this crime, but I do recognize the fear that members of our community may feel. Chapel Hill is a place for everyone, a place where Muslim lives matter."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

DGuller

mongers

Car driver kills other car drivers, no surprise there, nothing to see, please move along.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2015, 09:56:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 11, 2015, 09:46:12 PM
Car driver kills other car drivers, no surprise there, nothing to see, please move along.

wtf?
I think mongers fell off his bike one too many times
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Man the FBI has got to keep an eye on all these angry white dudes.  The carnage just keeps piling up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

His wife said it was motivated by religion but by parking disputes.

Martinus

Sophie Scholl

Is there an alternative way of being an Atheist other than it being self-proclaimed? :huh:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 12, 2015, 03:22:47 AM
His wife said it was motivated by religion but by parking disputes.

Yeah, if it's a hate crime the penalty would likely be higher, and the chances of NGRM verdict goes out the window.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 12, 2015, 03:47:26 AM
Is there an alternative way of being an Atheist other than it being self-proclaimed? :huh:

Not believing in a religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017