News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Audit the Fed"

Started by The Minsky Moment, February 03, 2015, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

It's not merely a bad idea and a bad bill, it is mendacious and fraudulent.

The Fed of course is already subject to audit.  It is almost certainly the most transparent financial institution in the country - detailed accounts and financial operations are available , the Fed publishes a detailed quarterly report on balance sheet developments full with graphs and tables, the fed and its member banks routinely publish all sorts of research and in-depth explanations of how they operate.

The only matters exempt from GAO review are the details of certain transactions with foreign central banks and the implementation of monetary policy operations, for which the need for confidentiality should be obvious.  I doubt the politicians pushing the bill are really interested in these details.  Since Bernanke and especially Yellen, the Fed and its governors have been very forthcoming about their policy decisions.  If the sponsors of the "audit" bills had the courage of their convictions, they would state forthrightly their disagreement with that policy.  But they are cowards, and cowards that are way out of their depth at that.

The nice thing about the Fed bill is that it makes it easy to figure out who in the GOP field is a legit candidate for President and who cannot be trusted with executive power.  And at this point, it looks like Jeb is the only serious player out there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Isn't spending time on this better than most of the other crap those same guys would otherwise be trying to do? It seems like a good distraction to me. Ooo! Shiny!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

Why Minsky has so many threads lately?
He is not being productive in RL, I can tell.
Is he on vacation? Did he get fired? Did he retire?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 03, 2015, 07:39:04 PM

The only matters exempt from GAO review are the details of certain transactions with foreign central banks and the implementation of monetary policy operations, for which the need for confidentiality should be obvious. 

I instinctively understand Ron Paul etc. to be a crank and the audit the fed idea to be stupid, but I'm not sure why a need for confidentiality is a reason to be exempt from audit.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Are they still worried about counting the gold bars at Fort Knox?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2015, 06:34:27 PM
Are they still worried about counting the gold bars at Fort Knox?

There aren't any gold bars at Fort Knox.
These days Fort Knox doesn't even have the armor brigade they used to.
Now, is only HRC, Human Resources Command.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

And that disgusts me. Going to Ft. knox's musuem was fun. Watching the Abrams playing alongside the roads was a bonus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2015, 11:28:35 AM
There aren't any gold bars at Fort Knox.
These days Fort Knox doesn't even have the armor brigade they used to.
Now, is only HRC, Human Resources Command.

The Defense Manpower Data Center is there as well.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 05, 2015, 11:30:16 AM
And that disgusts me. Going to Ft. knox's musuem was fun. Watching the Abrams playing alongside the roads was a bonus.

No shit.  My ROTC basic camp was at Ft. Knox and I happened to have 3 other history tank nerds in my platoon.  We spent most of our free time there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2015, 01:50:58 PM
Why Minsky has so many threads lately?

:huh:
This is my first thread this year.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2015, 06:32:01 PM
I instinctively understand Ron Paul etc. to be a crank and the audit the fed idea to be stupid, but I'm not sure why a need for confidentiality is a reason to be exempt from audit.

The Fed is audited.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Yeah, isn't the point of the "audit the Fed" thing to get the audit information out so it can be used for partisan political purposes (and thus compromise confidentiality)?

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2015, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 04, 2015, 06:32:01 PM

The Fed is audited.

I was responding to the part that certain transactions are exempt from GAO review. If those are still audited but by someone else, nevermind.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2015, 12:08:01 PM
Yeah, isn't the point of the "audit the Fed" thing to get the audit information out so it can be used for partisan political purposes (and thus compromise confidentiality)?

Pretty much.  The whole point of this exercise from the beginning was to discredit the fiat currency system and shift us back to a hard money system.

The Minsky Moment

I think there are three points:

1) It is a dog whistle for the conspiratorial goldbuggy types for whom the Fed is anathema
2) It is a dog whistle for the hard money donors (similar to 1)
3) It is a vehicle for Congress to meddle in monetary policy and put political pressure on the governors, again presumably in a hard money direction although in theory it could go the other way as well.
--Joan Robinson