News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Plot thickens in Argentina

Started by Jacob, February 03, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

What I can't get my mind around is how inept the old hag is at spinning this thing.  You tacitly deny any involvement and then stonewall by saying you want the investigation to run its course without your interference.

My mother in law is so fed up with things she wants to move up here.  GODDAMN YOU CRISTINA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 04, 2015, 09:41:12 AM
What I can't get my mind around is how inept the old hag is at spinning this thing.  You tacitly deny any involvement and then stonewall by saying you want the investigation to run its course without your interference.

My mother in law is so fed up with things she wants to move up here.  GODDAMN YOU CRISTINA

You are gonna have a pack of beaners all up in your shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Having a free babysitter on demand would be nice.  Having someone arbitrarily move my furniture around and 'organize' my stuff, not so much.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2015, 01:35:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 06:16:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2015, 06:13:52 PM
They would have to be really dumb to assassinate a prosecutor.

That's what Kirchner says. She says it's a conspiracy to tarnish her government.

Not much left to tarnish in that government.
You'd be surprised:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-04/argentine-president-s-tweet-mimics-chinese-during-official-visit
Quote(Bloomberg) -- Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner mimicked the Chinese accent in a tweet, replacing r's with l's, as she met with Chinese President Xi Jinping during a visit to raise investment in the recession-hit South American economy.

"Did they only come for lice and petloleum," Fernandez wrote in Spanish on her Twitter account. A minute later, she wrote "sorry, the levels of ridiculousness and absurdity are so high they can only be digested with humor."
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I hope she enjoys those ratty old Su-24's the Russians are gonna trade for beef.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 05:42:37 PM
Apparently Alberto Nisman had drafted a warrant of arrest for both Kirchner and her foreign minister Timerman, accusing them of trying to shield Iranian officials from the bombing of the Jewish centre in 1994.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/world/americas/argentina-prosecutor-alberto-nisman-arrest-warrant-cristina-de-kirchner.html?

You lazy fuck, copy and paste the article here in languish like everybody else does.
Jacob and Viper are always doing the same shit.
I aint going to click in that link!!!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Siege is afraid to click on a NYT link; he could get infected by facts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on February 04, 2015, 09:41:12 AM

Since you are the closest thing we got to an argentinian here in Languish, I must ask you this question:
Why the fuck are argentinians so fucking communists?
I mean, no disrespect, but I have never come across an argentinian that is into personal and social freedoms, free market economy, and small goverment.
The all claim that those little "neo-liberal reforms" they did, which of course were designed to fail, are proof free market economy does not work. They all want Big Brother to feed them and roof them, with no effort from their part.

The Larch

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2015, 11:05:37 AM

:lol: Dude, the NYT is infamous for getting facts wrong.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2015, 11:12:32 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2015, 11:05:37 AM

:lol: Dude, the NYT is infamous for getting facts wrong.

Can't argue with the expert . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2015, 11:09:00 AM
I mean, no disrespect, but I have never come across an argentinian that is into personal and social freedoms, free market economy, and small goverment.
The all claim that those little "neo-liberal reforms" they did, which of course were designed to fail, are proof free market economy does not work. They all want Big Brother to feed them and roof them, with no effort from their part.

Because of the culture of corruption amongst the elites.  The people just want in on the action.

There are very few countries in the world where personal and social freedoms, free market economy, and small government really are a thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2015, 04:37:11 PM
Because of the culture of corruption amongst the elites.  The people just want in on the action.

I don't think Argentina ranks particularly high on corruption ratings.  It seems as a general rule you either need large scale resource extraction (such as in Nigeria) or a stifling bureaucracy (such as in India) to breed world-class corruption.

I think the explanation lies instead with the immigration to Argentina of a politicized urban working class at a time when Argentina was a wealthy country, and could afford, at least for a short time, to buy their support with wealth transfers from the very productive agricultural sector.

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2015, 11:09:00 AM
Since you are the closest thing we got to an argentinian here in Languish, I must ask you this question:
Why the fuck are argentinians so fucking communists?

Where have you run into these Argentines?  With maybe a couple exceptions, all the ones I know are into all of that.  Particularly those who have come to the US, all of which are college educated and have high-paying jobs. 

My wife's family and their friends are all middle to upper class, and with the exception of my wife's best friend from college none of them vote Peronist.

QuoteThe all claim that those little "neo-liberal reforms" they did, which of course were designed to fail, are proof free market economy does not work. They all want Big Brother to feed them and roof them, with no effort from their part.

That sounds like the lower class (and nouveau-riche) left-Peronist type, which I don't have any direct experience with.  Sadly, they have been winning elections in the past decade.  Leftist populism has certainly wrought its fair share of havoc on the economy, and everyone I know seems to recognize that. 

Argentine politcs is a mess.  Your two main choices traditionally have been the Radicals (Social Democrats) and Peronists (Populism cranked up to 11).  There is a relatively small center-right party I support called PRO (Propuesta Republicana) which has scored some good local electoral wins but needs some help succeeding in national elections.

With the Peronists shifting decisively to the left in the past decade, some of the right-wing Peronists have splintered off into their own de facto party.  My hope is that somehow in this year's election those dissidents can form some sort of alliance/front with PRO and kick the left-Peronists out of power.  Even a win by the non-Peronist left bloc would be a positive.

Admiral Yi

I looked up Argentina in the Transparency International Index, and they came in 106th (Mexico was 103rd as a comparitor), so pretty corrupt.