News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Plot thickens in Argentina

Started by Jacob, February 03, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Apparently Alberto Nisman had drafted a warrant of arrest for both Kirchner and her foreign minister Timerman, accusing them of trying to shield Iranian officials from the bombing of the Jewish centre in 1994.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/world/americas/argentina-prosecutor-alberto-nisman-arrest-warrant-cristina-de-kirchner.html?

MadImmortalMan

Oh wow. If true this will be a mess.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

It certainly seems very plausible that he was murdered for his investigation.

As for "if it's true", it's apparently been confirmed:
QuoteViviana Fein, the prosecutor investigating Mr. Nisman's death, confirmed on Tuesday morning that Mr. Nisman had prepared the draft of the warrant requesting the president's arrest. Confusion about the document emerged when Ms. Fein at first denied its existence, after the newspaper Clarín published an article on Sunday about the draft.

Seems like a good time to take a vacation:
QuoteMs. Fein said Tuesday that she would be taking a vacation from Feb. 18 to March 5.

Razgovory

They would have to be really dumb to assassinate a prosecutor. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2015, 06:13:52 PM

That's what Kirchner says. She says it's a conspiracy to tarnish her government.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 06:16:10 PM

That's what Kirchner says. She says it's a conspiracy to tarnish her government.

Someone killed a prosecutor to make it look like she had the prosecutor killed because he was bringing a case against her?  Seems to me anyone wanting to tarnish her government would be more motivated to keep the prosecutor alive.

Jacob

alfred russel

And do we really have reason to believe the people running argentina are dumb?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on February 03, 2015, 06:24:57 PM

And do we really have reason to believe the people running argentina are dumb?

Well, their economy collapsed back in 2000, they picked a fight with Britain in the 1980's and they elected Kirchner.  I do suppose it's possible that the Iranians killed this guy.  Killing Argentine Jews is what started this whole thing to begin with.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Why, the cartels do it all the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

My personal bet is that this is some sort of a "Will Noone Rid Me of This Turbulent Priest" case. I.e. Kirchner was not personally involved but someone from her circles thought it would be a good idea/was implicated in the dead prosecutor's investigation.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 06:16:10 PM

Not much left to tarnish in that government.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2015, 11:38:24 PM

Why, the cartels do it all the time.

And typically exist in a state of war with the government.  When Dutch Schultz wanted to assassinate Tom Dewey the mafia assassinated Dutch Schultz.  Dewey eventually ended up putting Charlie Luciano in jail.

The Minsky Moment

Monty Python's wackiest sketch couldn't approach the inanity that is Peronism.  These are the same people whose immigration policy priorities were: (1) attract Jewish refugees, (2) attract ex-Naxis on the run.  No theory is too insane to be plausible, which is probably what Kirchner is counting on.  And her detractors too. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson