Main Menu

Oscar Romero: Martyr

Started by Sheilbh, February 03, 2015, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 07:31:56 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 04, 2015, 07:20:29 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 07:12:39 AM
With me around, your martyrdom would be recognized as soon as everyone recovered from the celebrations.

I don't think you're nearly so infamous as all that. Most people will neither celebrate your passing nor recognize guller's sacrifice.

:huh:

Maybe you should only quote and respond to sentences you can understand.
:console:

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 07:34:51 AM
This Pope just got here;  the recognition is late because the last two Popes, Johnny the Deuce and Emperor Palpatine, were anti-Romero.  Don't hate the player because the game was rigged by the last two league commissioners.

I am not blaming anyone.  I am noting the non-monumentalism of recognizing a fact 35 years late.  Shieldh would be better off to :w00t: about the fact that the Catholic Church recognizes that the earth revolves around the sun.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Always lovely to see someone telling you what you should or shouldn't be excited about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I'm enjoying this Darth Grumbler phase.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Who the fuck was Oscar Romero?
Was he one of those communist priests like the pope?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 07:30:29 AM
  I am not 100% behind it, but I can see its logic, unlike, say, transubstantiation.

That's more metaphysics than logic. :contract: :nerd:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Don't you Jews have anything better to do this morning, like murdering somebody's savior or something? 

Tamas

So conclusion is that a South American leftist Pope does stuff to recognise the South American leftist Catholic traditions as cool. No wonder it came as a shock to people.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 11:07:20 AM
Don't you Jews have anything better to do this morning, like murdering somebody's savior or something?

See this is what we get for trying to rescue your confused theology from itself.
And this is what the Church gets for trying to teach you Irish barbarians.  Aquinas isn't just the name of a high school basketball team; read the books, for Yeshua Not Christ's sake.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2015, 11:14:15 AM
Aquinas isn't just the name of a high school basketball team; read the books, for Yeshua Not Christ's sake.

:lol:  Fucking prep school conferences.   :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2015, 10:58:49 AM
Who the fuck was Oscar Romero?
Was he one of those communist priests like the pope?

Pretty much.

But then anybody who is not an anarchist is basically a communist to you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Catholic communists must be Siege's favourites. :P

The Brain

I don't get Catholic priests. If I learned that the organization I worked for was a huge pedophile ring I would quit my job instantly. But Catholic priests react... differently.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on February 04, 2015, 12:30:33 PM
I don't get Catholic priests. If I learned that the organization I worked for was a huge pedophile ring I would quit my job instantly. But Catholic priests react... differently.

They don't believe in freedom of choice.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2015, 09:34:06 AM
Always lovely to see someone telling you what you should or shouldn't be excited about.
Always lovely to see people respond to posts before reading them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!