News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Romero: Martyr

Started by Sheilbh, February 03, 2015, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
The fact is, the Catholic Church has originally sided with the man's killers. By making a leftist liberation theology bishop, murdered by right wing guerrilla, a saint/martyr, this marks a huge shift in Catholic policy.
This matters more than 'who am I to judge?' And I doubt we'll have a European Pope in my lifetime again (cue 5 Italian Popes in a row) which I think'll only make this shift more permanent.

And Santo Romero! :w00t: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2015, 05:29:45 PM

Not really.  They are both recognition that something somebody did is worthy of being honored.

They are both acknowledgements that are so late as to be meaningless.  Romero was a martyr when he was killed.  The fact that the Pope recognized this thirty-five years later seems a strange thing to celebrate, but if it means that much to you, i suppose I will just have to acknowledge that people are weird, and move on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Man, I'd hate to be gunned down by death squads with people like grumbler around.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 03, 2015, 10:43:39 PM
Man, I'd hate to be gunned down by death squads with people like grumbler around.

FYPFY

grumbler

Without me around, you'd have to wait 35 years after your death to be recognized as a martyr.  I suppose that would be good, from your standpoint. 

With me around, your martyrdom would be recognized as soon as everyone recovered from the celebrations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 04, 2015, 01:06:42 AM

FYPFY

0/10:  try for jokes that are not gibberish next time.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

grumbler is a noted atheist and Cromwellian.  Anybody who hates the Fighting Irish as much as he does wouldn't give two shits about liberation theology, either.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 07:12:39 AM
With me around, your martyrdom would be recognized as soon as everyone recovered from the celebrations.

I don't think you're nearly so infamous as all that. Most people will neither celebrate your passing nor recognize guller's sacrifice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 07:18:24 AM
grumbler is a noted atheist and Cromwellian.  Anybody who hates the Fighting Irish as much as he does wouldn't give two shits about liberation theology, either.

Au contraire.  My point is that I recognized Romero as a martyr 30 years ago.  The Pope is just incredibly late in his recognition.  He isn't wrong.  And liberation theology is just about the only (even unofficial) Catholic doctrine that makes any sense.  I am not 100% behind it, but I can see its logic, unlike, say, transubstantiation.

It is interesting how people can ignore my actual, clearly stated points in favor of what they think I would say.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 04, 2015, 07:20:29 AM

I don't think you're nearly so infamous as all that. Most people will neither celebrate your passing nor recognize guller's sacrifice.

:huh:

Maybe you should only quote and respond to sentences you can understand.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 04, 2015, 07:30:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2015, 07:18:24 AM

Au contraire.  My point is that I recognized Romero as a martyr 30 years ago.  The Pope is just incredibly late in his recognition.  He isn't wrong.  And liberation theology is just about the only (even unofficial) Catholic doctrine that makes any sense.  I am not 100% behind it, but I can see its logic, unlike, say, transubstantiation.

It is interesting how people can ignore my actual, clearly stated points in favor of what they think I would say.

This Pope just got here;  the recognition is late because the last two Popes, Johnny the Deuce and Emperor Palpatine, were anti-Romero.  Don't hate the player because the game was rigged by the last two league commissioners.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 04, 2015, 07:20:29 AM

:lol: