News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Romero: Martyr

Started by Sheilbh, February 03, 2015, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

grumbler is stupid, film at 11.

It marks an important shift in the Catholic Church politics, so for people who consider themselves catholic or are otherwise affected by catholicism (e.g. because they live in a catholic country), this is a big thing.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:38:50 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:36:23 PM
I agree that there is no logical or rational reason why the Pope's statement would be an issue or post-worthy.

Because there are a billion or so people who at least...supposedly care about what the Pope has to say?

Because... what? Did the Pope said something today but spoke not a word yesterday or the day? I mean, there wasn't a thread about the Pope speaking yesterday, and there wasn't one the day before...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 03, 2015, 02:41:07 PM
grumbler is stupid, film at 11.

It marks an important shift in the Catholic Church politics, so for people who consider themselves catholic or are otherwise affected by catholicism (e.g. because they live in a catholic country), this is a big thing.
Marty is a moron, film at 11 (see, I can play that kindergarten game, too)

Why?  How is their life different today?  What effect does this statement have on their lives?  Just saying it was important because people say it was important doesn't make it important.  This sounds like the rationale people use for posting about the Karadashians or Hiltons:  "it's important because people talk aout it, and people talk about it because it is important."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 01:55:24 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2015, 01:33:18 PM
Harsh.

Not really.  Is Romero really more of a martyr today than he was a week ago?

For Catholics he apparently is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:46:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:38:50 PM
I agree that there is no logical or rational reason why the Pope's statement would be an issue or post-worthy.

Because there are a billion or so people who at least...supposedly care about what the Pope has to say?

Because... what? Did the Pope said something today but spoke not a word yesterday or the day? I mean, there wasn't a thread about the Pope speaking yesterday, and there wasn't one the day before...

Oh on that front, answer is because Sheilbh found it interesting. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

The fact is, the Catholic Church has originally sided with the man's killers. By making a leftist liberation theology bishop, murdered by right wing guerrilla, a saint/martyr, this marks a huge shift in Catholic policy.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:50:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 03, 2015, 02:43:43 PM
Good for Cesar Romero.

:lol: 

Plus he got to sniff Carmen Miranda's bare cooch.  Which was wasted on him, I guess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2015, 02:58:24 PM
Plus he got to sniff Carmen Miranda's bare cooch.  Which was wasted on him, I guess.

Oh yeah;  hell, even his closet had a dressing room star on it.

QuoteMarlene Dietrich was quoted as observing that Romero was, "the undisputed queen of homosexuals. I don't think there was a gay actor in all Hollywood who hadn't been there."[10]

:lol:

The Brain

Catholics think they're eating the actual body of Christ. I would classify them as fairly gullible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on February 03, 2015, 04:22:30 PM
Catholics think they're eating the actual body of Christ. I would classify them as fairly gullible.

Actually, since they really don't think that, I'd classify you as even more gullible.

Valmy

Your analogy is Marty-esque.

Not really.  They are both recognition that something somebody did is worthy of being honored.

QuoteA better analogy is that a scientist does Nobel-prize-winning research and, 35 years later, the Speaker of the House declares that he is "a scientist."

It is not uncommon for research to win the prize decades later.  Well ok, it is kind of uncommon but not unheard of.

QuoteWould you really go  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: over that?

Depends.

QuoteI agree that there is no logical or rational reason why the Pope's statement would be an issue or post-worthy.

Same as why anybody being honored for anything anywhere would be post-worthy.  I do not get your beef here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2015, 05:29:45 PM
It is not uncommon for research to win the prize decades later.  Well ok, it is kind of uncommon but not unheard of.

Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering