And we're back!

Main Menu

Oscar Romero: Martyr

Started by Sheilbh, February 03, 2015, 08:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteSalvadoran priest 'a martyr' - Pope
Breaking news
Pope Francis approves martyrdom status for murdered Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero paving way for beatification

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Tamas

I can finally get some sleep tonight then.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on February 03, 2015, 08:46:48 AM

Yep.  This is big news:  a long-dead man gets a meaningless title from the leader of a a brand of superstition.  Maybe in the future the long-dead guy will get another meaningless title?  :worthy:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 10:32:11 AM

Yep.  This is big news:  a long-dead man gets a meaningless title from the leader of a a brand of superstition.  Maybe in the future the long-dead guy will get another meaningless title?  :worthy:

What has got you all snippy?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 10:38:39 AM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 10:32:11 AM

What has got you all snippy?

I've always been a bit snippy about people celebrating silly things (see first post). Oscar Romero was or wasn't a martyr based on his own motives and actions, not on some post-hoc declaration by a church official 35 years later.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

And I'm the one that gets called a bitch. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2015, 01:33:18 PM
Harsh.

Not really.  Is Romero really more of a martyr today than he was a week ago?

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 01:09:10 PM
I've always been a bit snippy about people celebrating silly things (see first post). Oscar Romero was or wasn't a martyr based on his own motives and actions, not on some post-hoc declaration by a church official 35 years later.

So if a scientist wins a Nobel Prize it is stupid to celebrate that since their worthiness as a scientist is based on his or her own motives and actions?  I guess I don't get why honoring somebody for something is worthy of scorn.  In fact I fail to see one logical or rational reason why this would be an issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Depends, V.  Did the scientist create a vaccine?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2015, 02:25:39 PM
So if a scientist wins a Nobel Prize it is stupid to celebrate that since their worthiness as a scientist is based on his or her own motives and actions?  I guess I don't get why honoring somebody for something is worthy of scorn.  In fact I fail to see one logical or rational reason why this would be an issue.

Your analogy is Marty-esque.  A better analogy is that a scientist does Nobel-prize-winning research and, 35 years later, the Speaker of the House declares that he is "a scientist."  Would you really go  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: over that?  I agree that there is no logical or rational reason why the Pope's statement would be an issue or post-worthy.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Grumbler is just bitter about the whole "death squad" thing.  He served in a "Death Squad" in the Vendee and gets touchy about people who criticize them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:36:23 PM
I agree that there is no logical or rational reason why the Pope's statement would be an issue or post-worthy.

Because there are a billion or so people who at least...supposedly care about what the Pope has to say?