Christie clarifies comments on measles vaccine, calls for ‘balance’

Started by garbon, February 02, 2015, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2015, 07:01:15 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2015, 06:59:43 PM
the anti-vaccination hotspots are LA, Portland and Vermont

Democratic bastions.  :hmm:

Yeah, Texas is a true Democratic bastion as well.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/01/217746942/texas-megachurch-at-center-of-measles-outbreak

QuotePearsons set up vaccination clinics on church property, but at the same time, when she preaches to her congregates, the message is for them to put their faith in God.

"So I'm going to tell you what the facts are, and the facts are the facts, but then we know the truth. That always overcomes facts," she has said.:bleeding:

In a 2010 broadcast, Copeland expressed shock at the number of vaccines recommended for his grandchild.

"You don't take the word of the guy that's trying to give the shot about what's good and what isn't," he said.:bleeding: 

Tards at night, big and bright.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 07:37:42 PM

There are tons of Dems in Texas. It's just that the ones running the state party are terrible. It's a disorganized mess that too often results in goofy kooks getting nominations.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/01/217746942/texas-megachurch-at-center-of-measles-outbreak

QuotePearsons set up vaccination clinics on church property, but at the same time, when she preaches to her congregates, the message is for them to put their faith in God.

"So I'm going to tell you what the facts are, and the facts are the facts, but then we know the truth. That always overcomes facts," she has said.:bleeding:

In a 2010 broadcast, Copeland expressed shock at the number of vaccines recommended for his grandchild.

"You don't take the word of the guy that's trying to give the shot about what's good and what isn't," he said.:bleeding: 

Tards at night, big and bright.

"The truth always overcomes facts."  I gotta remember that one.  Prime grade-A gibberish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 03, 2015, 07:54:11 PM

There are tons of Dems in Texas. It's just that the ones running the state party are terrible. It's a disorganized mess that too often results in goofy kooks getting nominations.

I think when it comes to this particular issue, for every fruitcake hipster in Portlandia there's a Biblethumper listening to God in Texas.  The anti-vaccine crowd comes from all points on the compass.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 08:19:01 PM
I think when it comes to this particular issue, for every fruitcake hipster in Portlandia there's a Biblethumper listening to God in Texas.  The anti-vaccine crowd comes from all points on the compass.

Yeah, like I said the local outbreaks due to lack of vaccinations have been amongst conservative bible thumper types rather than granola purity hippie types.

Perhaps because the bible groupings are more organized and tend to cluster more?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 08:21:44 PM

Yeah, like I said the local outbreaks due to lack of vaccinations have been amongst conservative bible thumper types rather than granola purity hippie types.

Perhaps because the bible groupings are more organized and tend to cluster more?

In California?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Maybe.

I've largely been going off this map:

Though the story has examples of, say, a local megachurch going against it:
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/vaccine-exemptions-states-pertussis-map
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Mississippi and West Virginia have no data because they require no exemption reason at all, whether religious or philosophical.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 08:37:47 PM
Mississippi and West Virginia have no data because they require no exemption reason at all, whether religious or philosophical.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 08:37:47 PM

You've got that backwards;  it's not that Mississippi and WV require no exemption reason, it's that they allow no non-medical exemptions.

Jacob

Yeah, this is apparently one issue where Mississippi and WV are leading the pack. Good for them.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 12:48:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 12:07:46 PM
:huh:  Vaccines can, and do, screw kids up.  The issue of one of risk/reward, not "Cal is absolutely right and Rand is absolutely wrong."  Rand, it turns out, is more right than you!

They can and do?

What sort of adverse reactions are we talking about, and how frequent are they? How is this documented?

At the risk of sounding a bit hypochondriac, the pertussis vaccine nearly killed me, thanks to a violent allergic reaction.  Days-long fever well over 100 to the point where I was having seizures.  I can't speak to how frequently it happened, but I can attest personally that they do happen and are documented (the pertussis portion was soon dropped from the DTP vaccine, making it the DT vaccine, until it was reformulated to cause less allergic responses).
Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2015, 08:29:29 PM
Maybe.

Oregon isn't just Portlandia hipsters; there's a lot of backcountry.
That map doesn't tell you much absent a finer breakdown.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 03, 2015, 08:28:17 PM

In California?

I seem to recall Reagan doing quite well there.  Also it's the Land of Darrell Issa.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2015, 01:33:22 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 03, 2015, 08:29:29 PM
Maybe.

Oregon isn't just Portlandia hipsters; there's a lot of backcountry.
That map doesn't tell you much absent a finer breakdown.

Yep.  Here is the breakdown of the Nov 2014 Oregon Governor elections (though almost every election is close to this):

The 2 counties on the coast are a bit surprising.  The other 2 blue counties in the south are college towns; the smaller one is Benton County-Oregon State University and the larger is Linn County - University of Oregon.  If not for the Universities in those towns those counties would be red as well.