Christie clarifies comments on measles vaccine, calls for ‘balance’

Started by garbon, February 02, 2015, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 01:12:00 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 01:05:13 PM
True.  Except that its fun to be a dick about things when people go all faux-wide-eyed about a topic.

There was nothing faux about it. I haven't spent much time looking into and evaluating the potential negative effects of vaccines.

FACT:  Children have been injured in automobile accidents on the way to vaccination appointments.
FACT:  Children have been injured in automobile accidents on the way from vaccination appointments.

The numbers just don't lie, man.

That was a silly post.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2015, 01:23:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 01:17:15 PM
Really?  You want us to believe that you don't know how to Google, and so had to ask me to do it for you?

Bullshit.

:lol:

No, I was too lazy to go to google and wade through BS and genuine information and then read and digest the results and reach a conclusion on the subject.

Since you apparently had already spent the time to form a solid opinion based on perusing the relevant facts and reaching a well-reasoned conclusion, I was hoping you would be willing to offer a quick summary.

Alas, my hopes were cruelly dashed :cry:

Grumbler is a rare breed who takes pleasure in googling to make a claim about someone being wrong and then taking greater pleasure in complaining about it.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 02, 2015, 09:15:12 PM
God I hope this doesn't become a thing for the GOP :bleeding:

Meh, a few years ago both Obama and Hillary were talking about the unknowns with the vaccine, before more studies were done showing the vaccine to be safe. Many people already had their minds made up that it was bad, caused autism, based on some earlier study, so that's what O and H were probably speaking about. Now studies are in that the vaccinations don't cause autism. But I guess this  could be the new "War on....." theme against the GOP, because of course all GOPers believe as Rand and Christie do.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:01:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:00:36 PM
This is a silly topic.

Adverse events that can occur after receiving a vaccine? :unsure:

The unnecessary overblown hype and public health-threatening hysteria surrounding the low probability of

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2015, 02:04:23 PM

Meh, a few years ago both Obama and Hillary were talking about the unknowns with the vaccine, before more studies were done showing the vaccine to be safe. Many people already had their minds made up that it was bad, caused autism, based on some earlier study, so that's what O and H were probably speaking about. Now studies are in that the vaccinations don't cause autism. But I guess this  could be the new "War on....." theme against the GOP, because of course all GOPers believe as Rand and Christie do.

Yeah declaring open season on the GOP when worrying about if GOP will adopt views of two prominent GOP politicians.

The Obama and Hillary bit is a bit silly as what were they supposed to say to a questionnaire posed by anti-vaccinators? You all be stupid?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:07:19 PM
This is a silly topic.

The unnecessary overblown hype and public health-threatening hysteria surrounding the low probability of

Well, I shouldn't speak for him - but I don't think g was saying that hysteria around that was a positive thing, just that it might be harmful to suggest that there is never anything bad that can happen after taking a vaccine. Such lies only feed into the hysteria.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2015, 02:04:23 PM

Yeah declaring open season on the GOP when worrying about if GOP will adopt views of two prominent GOP politicians.

The Obama and Hillary bit is a bit silly as what were they supposed to say to a questionnaire posed by anti-vaccinators? You all be stupid?

Seems that Obama and Hillary helped fuel the initial issue.  But granted in their favor, maybe there wasn't enough information to show the vaccines safe back then, don't know.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2015, 02:13:34 PM
Seems that Obama and Hillary helped fuel the initial issue.

How so? They weren't the only politicians asked questions about vaccines. I also find it hard, from what I quickly googled, to see them suggesting that vaccines posed a significant health risk or were linked to autism.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:10:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 03, 2015, 02:07:19 PM
This is a silly topic.

Well, I shouldn't speak for him - but I don't think g was saying that hysteria around that was a positive thing, just that it might be harmful to suggest that there is never anything bad that can happen after taking a vaccine. Such lies only feed into the hysteria.

Given that I have repeatably argued against allowing the bullshit rhetoric/hype to influence our decision-making, I am kinda surprised that you are the only person who seems to get it. 

I think that an assessment of the harm caused by the vaccinations versus harm prevented by them favors the use of most vaccines, but not all.  The smallpox vaccine, for instance, is contraindicated in all but a very few cases.  Why?  Because the individual's potential harm from receiving the vaccine, while low, is still higher than the potential benefit of receiving it.  I have no idea why this idea is so difficult for languishites (including some who are generally pretty bright, when not engaged on topics they are so passionate about) to understand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Which is a fair point if that's what he was trying to say. You make it better, though :cheers:

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2015, 02:25:34 PM
Given that I have repeatably argued against allowing the bullshit rhetoric/hype to influence our decision-making, I am kinda surprised that you are the only person who seems to get it. 

I think that an assessment of the harm caused by the vaccinations versus harm prevented by them favors the use of most vaccines, but not all.  The smallpox vaccine, for instance, is contraindicated in all but a very few cases.  Why?  Because the individual's potential harm from receiving the vaccine, while low, is still higher than the potential benefit of receiving it.  I have no idea why this idea is so difficult for languishites (including some who are generally pretty bright, when not engaged on topics they are so passionate about) to understand.

Perhaps the issue is your communication style?

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2015, 02:16:46 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 03, 2015, 02:13:34 PM
Seems that Obama and Hillary helped fuel the initial issue.

How so? They weren't the only politicians asked questions about vaccines. I also find it hard, from what I quickly googled, to see them suggesting that vaccines posed a significant health risk or were linked to autism.
A few years ago they spoke about the fear with the vaccines that was building over fears of autism and were a bit sympathetic with parents as it was a huge fear not too long ago. But like I said, back then the newer studies may not have been out so your point is valid in that they were speaking about what the fear was with the vaccines. New studies have shown the fears to be unfounded but some parents still won't get the vaccines for their kids.

CountDeMoney

OK, fine...there's a possibility that there can be a negative reaction;  we know that, we have always known that.  And now that that acknowledgement is out of the way, and those individuals that need to claim victory with their pucker-tight grip on semantics for semantics' sake have claimed it, can we please resume our established national policy of successful public health practices already in progress?