Objectivisation of women - discrimination or men just being pigs?

Started by Martinus, January 28, 2015, 01:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It is often commented how women are treated as sexual objects in our society, with their looks, attire, sexual attractiveness etc. often being scrutinised more often than that of men, even in situations that entirely do not warrant such scrutiny.

Do you guys think this is related to social inequality and women being treated as inferior to men in a patriarchal society etc., or simply the fact that men are much more likely to treat other people as sexual objects than women do - and since most men are straight, they focus on women. For example, I noticed I feel the same way about guys, often in completely inappropriate situations (like, right now, after reading an article about victims of male-on-male college rape finally making their voice heard, my first thought was that the guy who is an informal leader of this movement is quite hot  :blush: ).

The article in question, by the way: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/27/male-victims-sexual-assault_n_6535730.html?ir=Gay+Voices&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

MadImmortalMan

Can't tell you anything. The mafia will hunt me down and kill me.

Yay women. Women good. Men bad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

I will risk some honesty.

For me women are often sexual objects but they are also always people. The trick is to treat the people/person part as by far the more important of the two.

For the record I think the most annoyance I ever caused a woman were the times I failed to respond to sexual advances at parties, my failure to sexually objectify them due to getting carried away with my own bullshit was most offensive  :P

Ideologue

As the objects of my sexual desire, I perceive even women I don't know as substantially more human than almost all of the men I actually do.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Everybody wants to be objectified, but not by people they are not attracted to.

Except, you know, innocent bystanders don't know in advance whether they've made the cut to look at your ass. So it's essentially impossible.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Everybody wants to be objectified, but not in nasty way.

Well, most guys probably wouldn't mind that either.

Caliga

I really don't think people can help objectifying one another.  I think it's human nature.  I think it's worthwhile to try not to, I guess, even though ultimately it's probably not achievable.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Yup. I think a lot of homophobia from straight men comes from the realisation that other dudes will be thinking about them in the same way they are thinking about chicks. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 28, 2015, 01:18:15 AM
The article in question, by the way: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/27/male-victims-sexual-assault_n_6535730.html?ir=Gay+Voices&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

On this article - the most disturbing part for me is that there is nothing about the assailant being sent to the Police. Sexual assault ends with expelling the student?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 28, 2015, 03:06:29 AM
For the record I think the most annoyance I ever caused a woman were the times I failed to respond to sexual advances at parties, my failure to sexually objectify them due to getting carried away with my own bullshit was most offensive  :P

:lol:  Dicky H wins the thread early.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2015, 08:51:50 AM
Sexual assault ends with expelling the student?

And it doesn't begin with a prison yard beatdown either?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2015, 09:06:33 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 28, 2015, 08:56:39 AM
Sexual assault ends with expelling the student?

And it doesn't begin with a prison yard beatdown either?

Not following.

"He came up behind Andrew, grabbed his crotch and moved him into the bathroom stall.  Frozen, Andrew protested but did not fight back, scared of what would happen if he did."

I would think he would be too busy looking for his teeth on the bathroom floor to bother molesting me, regardless of how desirable my gorgeous hair full of body and bounce and my massively thick cock may be.

This guy was not a 4'9", 90 lbs freshman girl. Even the most effeminate, limp-wristed, fairy dust-snorting Mary can still manage to make a fist and defend herself when push comes to shove comes to reach-around.

garbon

I briefly had that thought but then went wait, in order to not be sexually assaulted for 15 minutes, you shouldn't have to get violent. Whether he chose to physically confront his attacker should be irrelevant though I agree that might have been enough to head off the incident.

Of course, it wasn't like this attacker was expelled after just one incident. Article makes clear that the attacker had a habit of doing so.

grumbler

On this article - the most disturbing part for me is that there is nothing about the assailant being sent to the Police. Sexual assault ends with expelling the student?
The forum has already had this discussion.  Someone using your account even participated.  The police only get involved when someone files a complaint.  If the guy in the story didn't go to the police, the most that can happen is the perp gets expelled.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!