And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the word "infidel" insulting?

Started by Martinus, January 21, 2015, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 21, 2015, 04:09:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
"naive" is somewhat insulting, as it is making a judgment on someone else's beliefs.

"infidel"... I suppose you could make the argument that it's merely a statement of fact, with no judgment involved, but I don't buy it.  I don't think it's a very useful word, and it is insulting.  Hell even in a church service I've never heard the word used.  When discussing people of differing beliefs it makes more sense to either properly identify them (i.e. call them muslims or jews), or go with a more neutral term like non-believer.

Wouldn't a Christian use the word "heathen" instead?

I don't think so - that word is I think reseved for people who don't worship the Judeo-Christian god (so Jews and Muslims can't really be 'heathens').

In its more informal sense, it simply means someone who is uncivilized.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Infidel sounds very analogous to non-believer to me.

Eddie Teach

Not all Christians will recognize that Muslims worship the same god.

Anyway, my point was it's a much more common word in Christian jargon. I did a search in the King James bible which turns up 145 uses of heathen vs 2 uses of infidel.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2015, 04:24:05 PM
Infidel sounds very analogous to non-believer to me.

Yeah... like isn't it basically latin for non-believer?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 21, 2015, 04:28:51 PM
Yeah... like isn't it basically latin for non-believer?

Not faithful, I would imagine.

Jacob

Martinus

It could also be a code for being in a gay neighbourhood of SF.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:39:53 PM

:hmm:

I think you really only have The Castro in SF. There is a gay strip in SoMa and plenty of lesbians in Bernal Heights but it would probably be a mistake to call those gay neighborhoods.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:01:20 PM
I wish Brits would have known the "context" of this thread.  :(

Pro-tip for context:  Use the entire statement a person made rather then half.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Heretics are people who nominally believe in a particular faith, with specific deviations from the norm. Heathens are those who in general lack religious faith and more specifically do not belong to any recognized religion. Infidels are those who specifically abjure a faith, rather than adhere to a faith.

So, to me, an Eastern Orthodox Christian, a Nestorian is a heretic, Martinus is a heathen, and Malthus is an infidel vis a vis Christianity (and possible Judaism- how nominally Jew-ish are you, Malthus?).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2015, 04:43:48 PM

I think you really only have The Castro in SF. There is a gay strip in SoMa and plenty of lesbians in Bernal Heights but it would probably be a mistake to call those gay neighborhoods.

In-Fidel - > Fidel Castro - > in Castro.  :Embarrass:

Admiral Yi

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 04:54:21 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2015, 04:43:48 PM

In-Fidel - > Fidel Castro - > in Castro.  :Embarrass:

Ah I see. I think that's too convoluted. :P

Also from my line of reasoning it should be "in the gay neighborhood of SF." -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.