News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the word "infidel" insulting?

Started by Martinus, January 21, 2015, 03:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

This is about the word "kuffar" which I understand is Arabic for "infidel". Would you say it is insulting/offensive or is it just a description of a fact from the perspective of a believer?

I'm curious at Languish opinion. :)

Eddie Teach

Kuffar is about as insulting as kaffir.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Would you be insulted if someone were to call you a Goy? 

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2015, 03:36:04 PM

Not really. And for the record I don't find infidel/kuffar offensive either. For me it's the same as me, as a non-religious person, calling religious persons naive. Some people apparently do find it offensive, though. I am just curious what Languish thinks.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

"Kaffir" is pretty insulting in South Africa. But I don't mind being called an "infidel dog".

Razgovory

It's like when Marty calls me a "cretin".  It's one of those quaint and inexplicable things people in the third world say.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on January 21, 2015, 03:45:54 PM
"Kaffir" is pretty insulting in South Africa. But I don't mind being called an "infidel dog".

Dogs are cool. Not as cool as cats, but still.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 03:37:53 PM

Not really. And for the record I don't find infidel/kuffar offensive either. For me it's the same as me, as a non-religious person, calling religious persons naive. Some people apparently do find it offensive, though. I am just curious what Languish thinks.

"naive" is somewhat insulting, as it is making a judgment on someone else's beliefs.

"infidel"... I suppose you could make the argument that it's merely a statement of fact, with no judgment involved, but I don't buy it.  I don't think it's a very useful word, and it is insulting.  Hell even in a church service I've never heard the word used.  When discussing people of differing beliefs it makes more sense to either properly identify them (i.e. call them muslims or jews), or go with a more neutral term like non-believer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 03:49:54 PM

QFT.

This is you most logical and factually correct statement of 2015 sofar.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

I would imagine it could be insulting to people who are actually religious, but belong to different religions.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2015, 03:52:40 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 03:49:54 PM

QFT.

This is you most logical and factually correct statement of 2015 sofar.  :)
:bowler:

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 21, 2015, 03:37:53 PM

"naive" is somewhat insulting, as it is making a judgment on someone else's beliefs.

"infidel"... I suppose you could make the argument that it's merely a statement of fact, with no judgment involved, but I don't buy it.  I don't think it's a very useful word, and it is insulting.  Hell even in a church service I've never heard the word used.  When discussing people of differing beliefs it makes more sense to either properly identify them (i.e. call them muslims or jews), or go with a more neutral term like non-believer.

I agree and context is all; if someone called my that to my face and with a degree of anger, I'd be tempted to issue a 2015-like Papal injunction.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

I wish Brits would have known the "context" of this thread.  :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on January 21, 2015, 03:51:09 PM

Wouldn't a Christian use the word "heathen" instead?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?